SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all :)
I was wondering what the function Is of this piece under the throttle body?

This one is out of my 9-3 parts car and my 9-5 does not have one. Since I am changing out the TB in the 9-5 in a few days, I was wondering if I should add it or if it won’t help anything.

1999 9-5 2.3

Thanks in advance,
Cap’n

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've been puzzled by these. As you might have seen, the EPC shows them on 9-3s only from 2000 to 2003, and not at all on 9-5s. I assume they were deemed un-necessary on the 9-5, or not beneficial enough to warrant the cost. Its called an air distributer in the EPC, and the flat plate is the gasket, a separate part.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been puzzled by these. As you might have seen, the EPC shows them on 9-3s only from 2000 to 2003, and not at all on 9-5s. I assume they were deemed un-necessary on the 9-5, or not beneficial enough to warrant the cost. Its called an air distributer in the EPC, and the flat plate is the gasket, a separate part.
Hmmm interesting. I wonder if it smoothes out the flow of the air?

The one I have sitting here has a gasket in addition to the metal plate. image.jpg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully some of the other “gurus” on here might help both of us out with our “puzzlement” about this part ;) lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
As Doug already said, it most probably was used to generate more equal air distribution between the cylinders but was not used in later phases or other cars.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, lets wait until the developers give an answer...
So out of the umpteen thousands of members on this site, you don't think someone besides a "developer" (which is actually termed an automotive engineer) might have an answer to the question ? Someone besides the original engineers would know. Are you related to Mimmi by chance LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you want to have an "definitely" answer you will have to ask the original automotive engineer not simply any automotive engineer (like me). Any other answer is just guessing...

But what do you expect from a part called air distributor?

You could also go ahead and do some research on gas mixing / distribution devices, e.g. for better EGR distribution in Diesel engines or check for mixers in gas burners in any size, you will stumble upon similar ideas and patents.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And then there is that whole “over-engineering” thing that most engineers do ;) lol
I Just figured some people on here might have some information on their experiences with it, and if they had noticed any differences how the car runs, I don’t really need the overly technical engineering reason/s as to why it was on some cars. It was more of a general question. I thought engineers looked at all the different options and/or solutions to a problem or question ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So out of the umpteen thousands of members on this site, you don't think someone besides a "developer" (which is actually termed an automotive engineer) might have an answer to the question ? Someone besides the original engineers would know. Are you related to Mimmi by chance LOL
I'm not surprised no-one here knows. The decision to delete it was probably (can't say definitely!) made by an accountant and an engineer over lunch. "What can we delete to save money?" "Well, this air diffuser's a waste of space".

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the unit goes down nearly to the base of the inlet manifold, and as such would be a restriction to intake flow under boost. Sure, it would diffuse and distribute, but also impede incoming charge air.

If it was never fitted to 9-5s according to the parts list, thats good enough for me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts