SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 900s no turbo. Great car, but this fall started a habit of not wanting to start after sitting more than four hours. I crank the starter and it will fire and die. I am keeping my foot off the accelerator, clutch depressed, transmission in neutral. I repeat this for five to twenty minutes and sooner or later it will run for one or two seconds with no power. When it runs (again, without power- can't even let out the clutch in neutral) for 10 or 15 seconds, then success is near. Suddenly it will respond to the starter with an instant start, normal power. It will start and run normally until parked for a few hours. Tried an ignition tune-up and replacement of the fuel pressure regulator. Doesn't appear to be entirely related to ambient temperature as it will randomly start fine when the thermometer is in the neighborhood of either zero or 30 F, though it does seem worse at lower temperatures. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112335

But, what we need here is the diagnostic scheme..The pump can be tested directly ; by pass the ignition switch, the relay and the CPS, and the ECU; but the fuel volume and pressure should be measured.
And, of course, the ignition and CPS should also be checked..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, earthworm. Had hoped there might be some known esoteric glitch I could pass on to the Man Who Knows Wrenches. I'm assuming my indy mechanic is on top of testing. Problem is the intermittent nature of problem. He is 70 miles away in Des Moines and when it is left with him it behaves nicely as a dog at the trainer's. Maybe I'll have to start investing in equipment and manuals. I've been trying to avoid diy with anything made after about 1957. But Saab ownership is a labor of love, right? At least it gets me where I intend to go better than the Stude truck used to.
collie50

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A Studebaker truck ? The Champ model ? It must have been old...

I once owned a '53 V8 coupe, a beautiful car, probably needed rings, guides, valves, suspension work.. My father owned a Golden Hawk, complete with the supercharger and lousy bodywork...

What you mechanic must do is duplicate your conditions ,then test.
The fuel pump check valve may be sticking.
Tap on the tank to test for this...
Seriously, he should consult with some men here, so we hope he has a computer..
Todays cars are so complex, a computer is now necessary to do testing and diagnostic work..

·
Registered
594 Posts
earthworm said:
Seriously, he should consult with some men here, so we hope he has a computer..
Todays cars are so complex, a computer is now necessary to do testing and diagnostic work..
Definitely consult - see my thread on '97 900 starting problem:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118957

You definitely need a plan for troubleshooting. Divide and conquer - try to isolate the problem to some system / section / wiring harness. Repeat as necessary. Don't replace something you're not absolutely sure isn't working right, unless it's the entire car. :lol:

There is quite a lot that can be done without a computer. Get a repair manual and multimeter. There's lots you can check with a multimeter. And the more you do, the more you learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she was a '49 3/4 ton with the big six and a stack of overload leaves to run logging, pork on the hoof or moonshine. Black with red wheels. Really weaselly column shift that took the fun out of double clutching. Went up in a shop fire.

Thanks guys. Any advice on brand, model of multitester? First manual for a newbie? Hate to spend money more than once. My experience is pretty much limited to carburetted Allis Chalmers, Minneapolis Moline.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Multimeter - I have a Craftsman digital I got on sale for 10 bux. The auto-ranging ones are a little more expensive, but not much more. Name-brand ones are more expensive and for that expense you get.....the name.

Manual - If you've read & used manuals for other machines, you may be able to use the information here & links to do most repairs. I don't have a manual for my 9000. I'll be looking up the torques when I do my clutch. If you absolutely have to have a manual, there is Haynes - good only because you can buy them, but for not much more - Amazon.com.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts