SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an exhaust leak where my flex pipe meets up with the CAT. After looking at a picture on one of the online part vendors I've found than mine looks different than the one pictured. Here's a pic.

If you look at the pipe extending out of the flex part it's very long. Mine is very short. Maybe 8" between the flex and the joint to the CAT. Is there different versions? Mine also doesn't have the 2 piece clamps. It has one of those with a hole in it that the pipe goes through with 2 bolts that run parallel to the ground on both sides. What gives? I'm thinking this has been replaced in the past with cheap aftermarket parts. :roll:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A picture says a thousand words. :cheesy:

From the passenger side. You can see where the holes are in the flex. Right between the clamp and flex material.

From the driver side to illustrate the clamp a little better. Notice how short the pipe is between the flex and the CAT.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Another ghetto repair. Is this were my car, I'd throw away all the junk and buy some good parts from eEuro or an upgraded system from GS ,perhaps..

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dammit! It's gonna take me years to clean all the bubble gum and bailing wire outa this car from the previous owner. It seems everything I try to do needs to be completely replaced with quality parts. :roll:

Ok, enough venting. I'd love to do the GS kit but it's not in my budget right now. Being as the rest of the exhaust doesn't have any holes and the GS kit doesn't come with a flex pipe I'd better stick to the basics. So what do you think? Is the CAT an aftermarket piece too? Or can I simply get the flex from eeuro and be done with it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just had this problem (broken flex pipe) about a month ago. I also looked at that Intermediate Pipe for sale and realized it wouldnt really fit because you cant really cut the flanges off to make it fit. I took it to a local muffler shop and they were able to cut out the old flex pipe and weld in a new one for $70. But, yeah, the previous owner really did the most ghetto of repairs... what the hell were they thinking?? I would replace the whole darned thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
At least it's not as bad as mine was.:lol:

Previous owner welded it straight to the cat when it started rusting for him. But then the welds rusted through and my flexpipe became totally disconnected about a week after I bought it. $120 at a muffler shop.:(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B204Life said:
At least it's not as bad as mine was.:lol:

Previous owner welded it straight to the cat when it started rusting for him. But then the welds rusted through and my flexpipe became totally disconnected about a week after I bought it. $120 at a muffler shop.:(
If it makes you feel any better, I took some wheel hop in the snow and mine is now the same way. :evil: Brrrropmmm!!! Pop!! Where did you take yours, local shop or a chain?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Lord!! Those goons at one of the major chain stored quoted me $378 for my flex pipe replacement. :nono; Looks like I'll be dealing with the rather funny noise that my car is making until I get the parts ordered.

Looking at my pictures above do you guys think I'd be able to install it myself if I buy new clamps and the pipe. My concern is with the junction between the CAT and pipe. That aftermarket clamp doesn't look too promising. I really don't want to have to replace the CAT too. :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
nocluetim said:
If it makes you feel any better, I took some wheel hop in the snow and mine is now the same way. :evil: Brrrropmmm!!! Pop!! Where did you take yours, local shop or a chain?
I took it to a Mytee. I knew a guy there and they did a nice job on it. I can get you a pic if you want it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
mine was just welded right into place, they have simple clamps at the shop to replace the bad ones on yours. if you know how to weld, it looked pretty simple - given you have a LIFT...

·
Registered
167 Posts
nocluetim,

What happened with your flex pipe issue? I ask because I have a hole directly behind mine (temporarily fixed with JB Weld until spring). When I looked at it again this weekend, I realized that it is the same as yours... very short pipe in front of the flex, does not look like the pic on Eeuroparts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frogdude said:
nocluetim,

What happened with your flex pipe issue? I ask because I have a hole directly behind mine (temporarily fixed with JB Weld until spring). When I looked at it again this weekend, I realized that it is the same as yours... very short pipe in front of the flex, does not look like the pic on Eeuroparts.
Sorry, I missed your PM. My inbox was full, please resend.

I decided to replace the whole darn thing. Here's my thread on that.

I'm thinking the both of us have a flex from a 9000. Look at the pictures in the 9000 parts section. They look the same.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No worries on the PM... was basically the same as what I just posted.

Guess I'll need to measure the section to be replaced and make sure that is the same as the 900 part. And I'll need to make sure the ends are compatible. When I look under the car now, it seems like the curves in the flex pipe don't match those in the heat shield like they should. Probably like you said... flex is from a 9000. Regardless, I'm hoping the epoxy holds until the weather is warmer. Just thought I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
dont you guys have any local muffler shope that can just cut out and weld in a new flex pipe?? And Im talking of JUST the flex, not any other part of the intermediate pipe... Thats what I did with mine, and I spent $70. Better than $370! Boy was my car loud after that flex pipe broke!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coreyeroc said:
dont you guys have any local muffler shope that can just cut out and weld in a new flex pipe?? And Im talking of JUST the flex, not any other part of the intermediate pipe... Thats what I did with mine, and I spent $70. Better than $370! Boy was my car loud after that flex pipe broke!
Oh man! I wish! My flex pipe is broken on both ends. The break in the front is just before the flex under the clamp. :roll: And you're right, this thing sounds like a Mac Truck. I seriously can't wait until Friday when I get my new DP installed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
update

Thought I'd add an update to this thread in case anyone else has this issue.

My leaky flex pipe looked like nocluetim's. There was only about 3 inches of pipe in front of the flex portion. The eeuroparts flex pipe appeared to have more than 12 inches in front of the flex. I called eeuroparts and had them measure the one they sell. It is about 35 inches long from end to end, not following the bend but just running the tape measure straight from one end to the other. This is the same as my old one, so I ordered it. It fit perfectly. The only difference is that the flex portion is in a different position along the pipe.

Now, keep in mind that my situation was slightly different than nocluetim's. I had the OEM exhaust clamps on both ends of my flex pipe, where as he had something different for his front clamp.

This link below is from Radare's amazing website. You can see his flex pipe in the third picture on the page. It looks exactly like my old one did.

http://www.900saab.com/sfbrace.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts