SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing the oil pan drop in the next couple of weeks (2000 9-3 185HP version). I just bought the car (with 200,000 km) and although there are no signs of issues I would like to know for sure.

I understand I need to drop the subframe down a bit but I was wondering if I could get the same amount of clearance undoing some or all of the motor/tranny mounts and lifting the motor with a hoist a few inches? Anyone tried this or am I off my rocker... I have done many searches and have not seen this as an option.

Basically lifting as much as I can without undoing anything else (like drive shafts etc.).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am looking at doing the oil pan drop in the next couple of weeks (2000 9-3 185HP version). I just bought the car (with 200,000 km) and although there are no signs of issues I would like to know for sure.

I understand I need to drop the subframe down a bit but I was wondering if I could get the same amount of clearance undoing some or all of the motor/tranny mounts and lifting the motor with a hoist a few inches? Anyone tried this or am I off my rocker... I have done many searches and have not seen this as an option.

Basically lifting as much as I can without undoing anything else (like drive shafts etc.).
To lower the subframe, you're only looking at removing the front 2 bolts and loosening the middle two a half inch or so and just easing the rear two loose a bit.

No way would I try and lift the engine far enough up to get the same clearance, I think the A/C hoses would scream for mercy, as would the rest of the hoses.

To reassemble, simply screw in the middle two far enough for the front two bolts to start and then run all 6 back tight (the back 4 needing to be very tight).

·
Registered
258 Posts
The way i did it on my 900 was lower the sub frame a bit and i believe i took out the passenger side mount and raised the engine up. Kept my head of a swivel to make sure i didnt break or damage anything. I'm not sure the similarities between the models but it worked for my 900. After having done that i would recommend giving yourself much room to work with as i had just enough on mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did my 2000 a couple of months ago it was pretty easy just take out the 2 front bolts on passengers side and loosen the last one right up I also put a wedge in between the sub frame in the front also I would mark the sub frame so you don"t need to have it aligned again. Also put the sealant on the block it's a tight squeeze I don't think I would try lifting the motor, not to many places to lift from also you would have to unhook.the intercooler and the power steering lines I think you would make alot more work. I also put a bottle jack under the harmonic balancer and just put a little tension on it to make it easier but not to much Under 2 hour total Good luck.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Remove two front subframe bolts and have someone pry down on the subframe while you shake the pan out..

Thats what worked best for me

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Remove front two bolts and middle bolts. Put a couple 2x4's under the passenger side to hold it down. Some people say to just loosen the middle bolts but by the time you get them loose enough to get the subframe down, you might as well just take them out. No need to jack the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts