SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I think really the only solid diff, was the climate controll. I have seen S models with Leather, V6 and turbo 4s, I think SEs also only came with leather, and acc.

·
Registered
818 Posts
for my year, 1997 the "S" model is 2.3 liter non-turbo

engine, the SE has 2.0 liter turbo-charged powerplant. Climate control is simpler in the "S", just plain old knobs, the "SE" has a fancier thermostat-type control. My dash peice was black plastic, I upgraded to "SE" wood veneer type.
The other stuff like leather and power seats and so forth can be added to an "S" to get is closer to an "SE" level of tim.

Good luck,

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'Vert

·
Banned
736 Posts
i have wood dash on my s, i do not have power seats tho or climate control.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
For the NG900, the differences in the 4-cyl S and SE were,

Engine (turbo 2.0 v. n/a 2.3), horsepower
ECU (Saab Trionic v. Bosch Motronic)
Air Intake Sensors (MAP @ IAT on turbo, v. MAF on the non-turbo)
Crankcase vent system
Oil Cooler (most Turbo models)
Oilpan heatshield (non-turbo)
Intake and Exhaust Manifolds
Ignition (Direct v. Distributor)
Secondary Air Injection (most but not all non-turbo models)
Steering turns ratio
Suspension
Wheels
ACC (Automatic Climate Control on the turbo)

I think the rest was cosmetic stuff, interior, etc.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible to change to ACC in a S?

I imagine you would need the cabin fan, control panel and the sunlight sensor.
right?

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
It's very difficult. The only guy I've heard of who did it had a donor car to rip apart. There are multiple sensors, tons of wiring, and a lot of little motors.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Is it possible to change to ACC in a S?
I don't think it would be that easy. On the S model, the controls behind the panel are mechanical. On the SE, there is the ACC computer, but also an electrical cabin fan controller, and some other mechanical stuff, more or less attached to the vent system. If you figure it out, I am sure a lot of other people would like to know, the mechanical controls are prone to breaking. probably the one less reliable part of the "S" model!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let's not forget about the '98 900 S 2.0 Turbo model. You could get all the SE options or you could get nothing, but you'd have the 2 liter turbo to show for it, and some interesting colors like copper bronze...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
In the 9-3, the SE package gave you a wood dash, ACC, 16" wheels, 15-20hp, power seats, heated seats (front and back), and some other stuff I'm sure

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
15-20hp???? :eek: :nono;

Anyways,
it is a 900 model.
don't know the options or anything as i am still waiting for the guy to get back to me.

His ad-
SAAB: 1997 900s
Auto, loaded,
excellent condition
dealer serviced
truely mint cond.
151K, under-priced
$2450

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The S model had the possibility of adding all the features from the standars SE equipment like the leather seats, the ACC unit, the 16" wheels, the spoiler, the wood dash trim, the 2.0 turbo and even the V6

The standard version of both are a diffrent story.

The NG900S compared to the SE had the
-2.3 N/A engine so no turbo, no DIC (the old distributor and wires) and no intercooler :cry:
-No spoiler
-cloth interior
-Manual Climate controle
-Black dash
-15" wheels instead of the 16".
Here are those standard S 15" wheels on my car in the dealer's show room just before I bought it 2.5 years ago

Looks alot better now after the Viggen kit upgrade :cool:

I think the moon roof was an option for both models but I'm not sure if it was standard on the S.

·
Registered
553 Posts
bring this one back....

My 99 9-3 dosent have a sun/moon roof, no power seats, no heated seats, no ACC, crap rims, no SE trims, no door speakers, so on and so forth!
Every thing is easy to add, except the sunroof and the ACC.:cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts