SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the EXACT differences THROUGHOUT the models?
Engine
Suspension
Chassis
Wheels

Go at it... just trying to see at what cost it would be to gain Aero levels of performance from a base model... PS, I found an Aero for only $2600 more than a base I was looking at

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You don't ask much do you?

Aero 230bhp or 250bhp depending on year, other 2.3's 170-185bhp.
Aero has thicker ARB's than standard models.
Aero 308mm front discs..standard has 288mm.
Aero has body kit, standard doesn't.
Aero has 17" wheels...standard has 16" or 15" depending on model.
Aero's tend to have higher interior spec
Aero's have Aero badge on front wings and on rear right hand side of trunk..approx 26mm in and 13mm up from lip of trunk. Is that EXACT enough for you? NO?
Aero has a bigger intake pipe.
Aero has a Mitsubishi TD-04 turbocharger, the standard model has a Garrett GT17 turbo.
Aero has a lower uprated suspension setup.
Aero is faster than standard model (approx 155mph).
Aero is quicker 0-60
Aero is quicker 60-0
Aero is a chocolate bar, the standard car isn't.
I think thats all the bases covered...Chris , Finn any other EXACT differences i've missed? ;)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well, even though Kermit didn't EXACTLY summon me to bring up differences, I will mention that the ECU is different. Now that's EXACT!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Chris , Finn any other EXACT differences i've missed? ;)
The Cosmic Blue ones are faster ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Kermit said:
Aero's have Aero badge...on rear right hand side of trunk..approx 26mm in and 13mm up from lip of trunk.
YOU LIE! Mine only says 95 :cry:

Engine: B235R as opposed to B235L (the R means betteR :cheesy: )
Suspension: Stiffer with thicker ARB, but still mush by most sporty standards.
Chassis: The brakes are freaking amazing
Wheels: 17X7 :cheesy:

The body kit looks just that little bit cooler and more aggressive. Every time I see a standard 95 it looks wrong somehow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Chapel976 said:
What are the EXACT differences THROUGHOUT the models?
Engine
Suspension
Chassis
Wheels

Go at it... just trying to see at what cost it would be to gain Aero levels of performance from a base model... PS, I found an Aero for only $2600 more than a base I was looking at

buy the aero....you will not regret it. the stock aero suspension is pretty good, you may even be satisfied with it for a while and you can change to koni/eibach or similar at a later date if you grow tired of it or some components need changing. as raven states, the stock aero brakes are amazing. not much to look at but no problem stopping under any condition. aero turbo seems to be bulletproof and will allow for higher horsepower levels. i, however, will be dumping the stock aero turbo in favor of a gt28 or gt30 but i believe most will be satisfied with stock aero mitsubishi td04 turbo.
dave

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fatship said:
buy the aero....you will not regret it. the stock aero suspension is pretty good, you may even be satisfied with it for a while and you can change to koni/eibach or similar at a later date if you grow tired of it or some components need changing. as raven states, the stock aero brakes are amazing. not much to look at but no problem stopping under any condition. aero turbo seems to be bulletproof and will allow for higher horsepower levels. i, however, will be dumping the stock aero turbo in favor of a gt28 or gt30 but i believe most will be satisfied with stock aero mitsubishi td04 turbo.
dave
excellent. I'll definately get that Aero from Alan Scott
Now I need to get the loan! :) And about $2000 from people who owe me money!
I have three MAJOR important factors when building a car that I've always followed since my first little GTi. Summed up in a simple sentence: "Before you run, you must learn how to walk"
Make it stop
Make it turn
Make it go

If the Aero has the 'stop' and the 'turn', then all I need to do is add the 'go' :)

Plus, I assume if I do start upgrading bits on the car, people with the standard cars would benefit from the parts I'd be removing as well.

It's a very lovely shade of dark green with tan interior and BBS wheels... I love dark green and tan saloons... very... British :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kermit said:
You don't ask much do you?

Aero's tend to have higher interior spec
I try to be as informed as possible on all things cars :)

When you say higher interior spec... what exactly do you mean?
Are there 'sport seats' per se? (thinking: 9000 Aero with those absolutely gorgeous Recaros)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Well it's actually just standard leather as opposed to cloth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Raven18940 said:
YOU LIE! Mine only says 95 :cry:

Engine: B235R as opposed to B235L (the R means betteR :cheesy: )
Suspension: Stiffer with thicker ARB, but still mush by most sporty standards.
Chassis: The brakes are freaking amazing
Wheels: 17X7 :cheesy:

The body kit looks just that little bit cooler and more aggressive. Every time I see a standard 95 it looks wrong somehow.
But why in your opinion should SAAB put AERO badge at the back on the trunk and not on some of them. Am confused here. Funny enough I'm just about to pick up a Midnight Blue one with 138k on the clock. Do you think its a sensible choice. Interior is the dreaded cream leather. I really LIKE the Charcoal leather. AM THINKING OF REPLACING MY 9000 CSE 200BHP ,GREY LEATHER (YEAR 95) with thIS particular 95 AERO. A good choice?:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
go for the aero. the price of all the parts listed in more than make up for the difference in price. the wheels alone run about $1000 on ebay. while regular 16" are lucky to fetch a couple of hundred.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only other 9-5 in my neighborhood is cloth, non-SE. They come in cloth here, what I wanna see is one without a moonroof, I dont think they made em.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OddyseusDSM said:
The only other 9-5 in my neighborhood is cloth, non-SE. They come in cloth here, what I wanna see is one without a moonroof, I dont think they made em.
What year is it?
I've never seen a 9-5 with cloth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally Posted by saab addict
But why in your opinion should SAAB put AERO badge at the back on the trunk and not on some of them. Am confused here.
I believe the Aero badge at the back (trunk/tailgate) was introduced on the facelift model in late 2001. Earlier cars only have Aero badges on the front wings.

dan_aero

·
Registered
334 Posts
'99 I think same as mine, only that cranberry color, I like it save for the cloth.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I sold mine for £15 ;oops: Very sad :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts