SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely untuned 01 lpt and was thinking about changing the spark plugs at some point in the not distance future. The forums say stick with NGK, so I will. My question is which of the NGK spark plugs should I go for?

Standard BCPR6ES-11 # 6779 .039
V-Power BCPR6E-11 5632 .039
G-Power BCPR6EGP 7088 .039

If they're all essentially the same price (they are at the local auto store), should I go with the best (G-Power) or should I stay with the Standard? I excluded the iridiums because i've read here not to use them under any circumstances.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think Pete (Gone fishing) in another thread said it best:

GONE FISHING said:
My personal opinion:-

You are driving a high performance car, with a turbo, using one of, or even THE most sophisticated engine management systems on the market.
If the manufacturer (Saab) advised a specific make and grade of spark plug (I would use it).
When Saab tuned the car these SPECIAL NGK resistor type plugs were used,
stick with them, and you can be reasonably sure, that if you do have problems it wont be due to using the wrong plugs.

I have recently had a problem with intermittant miss firing, by replacing the plugs with NGK's I was certain they were not the problem.
If that seeme like "rant".... it probably is.
But no malice is intended.

Oh; I forgot to mention: - I drive a 3.0 V6

Pete
On the whole, with the cost of DI cassettes being what they are I wouldn't take the chance, stick to standard spec plugs.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
You have a LPT, use the standard copper NGK plugs. You aren't going to see any kind of gain from different plugs, even better NGK. The DI runs extremely high voltage, far greater than anything else, so your standard plugs provide very good ignition.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The right spark plug should be in your book, but here is a pretty good list that I think should be a bookmark!

Mr.Taliaferro has a great reference library at ;
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/index.htm

Look under;
1 Service
Spark Plugs <NEW

It's mentioned on his site not to link directly to the detail pages.

Regards,
CSE_20

1 - 5 of 5 Posts