SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the mechanical difference between the 185 hp turbo and the 205 hp HOT? I'm the new owner of a 2002 SE (yes, its an automatic but it only has 32k miles thank you very much) and have been reading this forum and havent been able to find that answer. I guess there were some air box differences and tubing differences? What mechanically gives the HOT 20 more horsepower?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Different body kit, the SE has a TD04-15T turbo on it, the LOT has a t25? I think.

The SE HOT, is the same engine components as the Viggen, but a 2.0L instead of the 2.3L. Same Intercooler, Turbo.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The air intake path on the B205 engine is different from the air filter box all the way to the throttle body. Including the inlet pipe, the turbo, the intercooler, and the charge air pipe which leads to the throttle body. The IC (intercooler) is a single pass design compared to the B204 engine's dual pass.

None of that actually gives the engine the additional 20 horsepower, that is pretty much determined by the engine control software on our cars. The older design with the original T25 turbo is quite capable of more horsepower, and there are software upgrades available to do just that.

The newer design is actually less expensive to make. Giving the car more horsepower was mostly a marketing decision by GM. The other differences are mostly cosmetic. The goal was to create a model which was between the B204 turbo, and the B234 (Viggen), without most of the Viggen performance features, like its larger engine, bigger brakes, etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then what about the T5 and T7?

If the only difference there is the turbo...were there some other differences with the T5 and T7 besides the ecu and the turbo?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you answered as I was typing that. Thanks.

I think you answered as I was typing that. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts