SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You mean the bottom end? As far as I know if you were looking at a swap, the pistons would be the only difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep: I need to replace the shortblock of my 16V turbo because of worn crankshaft bearings and i was wondering if a good 8v turbo shortblock could serve as a direct replacement. But is there a diffrence between the pistons of an 8v/16V turbo? I thought they had identical compression ratios?

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Apart from the pistons, you'd also need to transfer the timing gear over and maybe one or two other bits and bobs. But the block is totally interchangible. I took a 1992 16v injection engine and rebuilt it to suit a 1983 8v carb engine. Only problem I had was a slightly longer crank bolt meant I had to make some clearance on my 99.. But as yours is a 900 that isn't even an issue.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
But I think one could recover that .5 difference with head work, no?

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The CR difference comes from an additional 1.9mm and 2.75mm piston dish depth on the B202T (1984-86) and B202T (1986 onwards) cars, respectively.

How much cylinder head material that equates to, I don't know but I think it could be a significant amount.

LuukvdHeiden said:
okay all, thanks for your swift replies!
I've just looked at the times for the messages - this must be one of the quickest threads in SaabCentral history! LOL

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Well, either way, with the heads off and blocks out of the cars, swapping the pistons isn't too bad a job anyway.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
So an over bore and new rings/pistons would be in order then?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what it is worth, I have just replaced my oil filler tube with one from an 8v. I got it from a breakers with the dipstick 'cos it had a nice red top :D . However I checked against my 16v turbo dipstick and the 8v is slightly longer and the fill level markings are in different places. Whether this is just because the turbo needs more oil or may be other differences that you need to investigate.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I'm still used to my old RZ500 where it was a new set of pistons and rings every winter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts