SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,
Got a manual 150 TiD 9-3SS (with ~ 12,000 miles on the clock, mostly mine) and the latest mpg specs. from saab's UK website for this car are

36.7/60.1/48.7 City/Highway/Combined

I do about 80% of my driving on the A64/M1 in 6th gear at 70-80mph and I'm b*****d if I can get any better than ~ 42 on the SID readout over any sort of long term and about ~ 40(!) if I work it out myself from refill to refill (mainly BP or Shell diesel) :(.

Took the car into the dealer today and asked him if there was any reason why the car shouldn't do remotely as well as the website claims.

He said that in his experience the diesel engines either work or they don't - and "don't" would be accompanied by smoke from the back or a bonanza of alerts from the engine management system. So it's all fine without even looking at the car etc...

I just wanted to check with the assorted gurus here if he is probably right in saying the above - and if so why is my mpg so "petroll-y"? :S And can Saab be clobbered for this in any way? Or if not what "could" be wrong with the car (or my understanding of the specs.) ? With this and current diesel prices I feel like I might as well have bought a 2.0t instead....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think you'll find it will get better with time...

When I bought my 2.2 tid they said fuel economy would get better after around 6k miles, but I didnt see the improvement until around 15k miles.

I have just agreed to px my 2.2tid, and when I bought an Aero back in after a test drive the guy at the garage couldnt believe the economy my tid was showing. I average 48/49mpg, and if I reset before a long motorway journey it shows 58-62mpg (averaging 75-80mph)

Theoreticaly your car is quicker and better on fuel than the 2.2, so I would give it time and you'll see it loosen up even more.

The petrol on the other hand isn't bad on fuel, but no way near as good as the diesel. The Aero averaged 25mpg, so I'm going to be missing the diesel...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply....

Well to hell with fuel economy if you've got an aero convertible - nice car!

Just out of interest (and if it's not too nosey) how did you do exchanging saab for saab - was it a fair deal with mileage and age considered? Any advice when I come to do the same in a couple of years time?

Re the 2.2's mpg being better at 15k miles - had it gone through a dealer service by the time it improved - think that was around the old service interval wasn't it? (18,000 on the new TiDs only I think)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm I'll be honest - it's not something I understand too well. Felt sure 12k would constitute "long enough" though. Mind you the car is only 8 months old.

Does the software in the engine actually change parameters at all over the lifetime of the car? Or is it more a question of the cylinders fitting a bit less "tightly"? I don't even know the correct terms here - so I'll stop there :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Diesel MPG figures

MacHoolahan said:
Hi folks,
Got a manual 150 TiD 9-3SS (with ~ 12,000 miles on the clock, mostly mine) and the latest mpg specs. from saab's UK website for this car are

36.7/60.1/48.7 City/Highway/Combined

I do about 80% of my driving on the A64/M1 in 6th gear at 70-80mph and I'm b*****d if I can get any better than ~ 42 on the SID readout over any sort of long term and about ~ 40(!) if I work it out myself from refill to refill (mainly BP or Shell diesel) :(.

I just wanted to check with the assorted gurus here if he is probably right in saying the above - and if so why is my mpg so "petroll-y"? :S And can Saab be clobbered for this in any way? Or if not what "could" be wrong with the car (or my understanding of the specs.) ? With this and current diesel prices I feel like I might as well have bought a 2.0t instead....
Hello MacHoolahan,
I discussed this a few weeks ago with Canada Bob on this forum as we thought we should be getting more MPG and so follow this LINK for more information .... you are not alone!

However, I have now been on a long run (400 mls) and was pleasantly surprised to achieve 50 MPG with 4 up including luggage all on roads without duel carriageways (Scotland can't afford them yet!!) but travelling along at a fair lick.

So I feel a bit happier now. Only problem is the fuel computer that just keeps averaging out the MPG unless you reset it for a trip. My previous car was much more sophisticated and had 2 fuel computers with much more capability but I guess that's the sign of progress!

Happy Diesel Motoring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks IG - interesting read. Just to be uber-nerdy - in 6th my car hits 2000rpm at about 70-75 is that about the same as yours? Was an-ex-demo car so I'm nervous about the hammer the clutch may have taken before I got my greasy mitts on it :)

Cheers for the reply anyway....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gear Ratios

MacHoolahan said:
Thanks IG - interesting read. Just to be uber-nerdy - in 6th my car hits 2000rpm at about 70-75 is that about the same as yours? Was an-ex-demo car so I'm nervous about the hammer the clutch may have taken before I got my greasy mitts on it :)

Cheers for the reply anyway....
I have an Auto and it has an unbelievable 6th gear of approx 40 MPH/1000rpm! So at 2000rpm I am cruising at 80MPH. It sure is meant for the motorway, as it will only go into 6th gear after approx 65MPH. Most of my time is therefore spent in 5th Gear but that is also good for about 35MPH/1000rpm. :)

Maybe someone else on the Forum can answer your question about your gear ratios for a manual transmission.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just out of interest (and if it's not too nosey) how did you do exchanging saab for saab - was it a fair deal with mileage and age considered? Any advice when I come to do the same in a couple of years time?

Re the 2.2's mpg being better at 15k miles - had it gone through a dealer service by the time it improved - think that was around the old service interval wasn't it? (18,000 on the new TiDs only I think)[/QUOTE]

They have only given me £8k for my Saab (52 reg, 47k miles, FSH), and I know I could have probably got up to £10k privately. I would have sold privately but it's just the hastle i.e needs new brakes pretty soon, couple of parking dints (minor) etc etc, and also I need a car right up until I collect the new one in a few weeks..

The improvement in mpg was really gradual so I didnt really notice a sudden change, although it did also seem a lot smoother after the 1st service - 18k

When I was looking to change my car, I was considering either the new Aero saloon or the TiD 150 (with ecu upgrade), but they really reduced the prices so in the end I could just about afford the Aero Conv. They gave me £1.5k towards my deposit and knocked £3.8k off the price of the Aero...great deal. The residual after 3 years and 18k miles per year is £13.4k, so monthly payments arent bad at all (pcp)..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OMG.

Particle filter taken out and rejigged. Voila. Different car.

Piles more torque, nicer engine noise, better mpg ;) (10 better)

I will call in again tmw (no time tonight) and find out exactly what they did.

"Diesel cars either work or they don't" my hairy b****m.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. As far as I can glean....

There has been a recall on a sensor on the particle filter on some of the new TiDs (inc. mine). The old one failed to make the PF "regenerate" - a term they use for a periodic high-temperature, high rev self clean that it's supposed to perform.

Mine was well clogged - they just replaced the sensor - triggered the regeneration and hey presto - the car feels like new!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts