SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 tid 1.9 2005, i have problems starting a cold engine in allweathers.
The glow plug lights comes on on the dash but it cranks for ages before it fires.
Then when its started, it is lumpy at low revs like its missing all the way up until its up to temperature.
Im led to believe air leaks, bad plugs or air bubbles in the fuel lines may be the cause, but i would really appreciate some expert knowlege.

The plugs were changed a year ago, the battery too. It could use an oil change too

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like your injectors are a bit fouled up.

Chuck in a bottle of diesel cleaner in your tank. In South Africa we have Wynns Diesel cleaner, I use it every 3-/4000km in our Audi & Defender since the diesel here can be a bit dodgy:

Guys in the UK land rover community tend to use Forte, they say it works well.

You can also try using some 2-stroke oil (JASO-FC spec) at a 1:200 ratio. I usually buy a bottle at the petrol station and chuck it in before I fill the tank.

Both the Audi and Defender run super-smoothly when I do this ;ol;

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your injectors are a bit fouled up.

Chuck in a bottle of diesel cleaner in your tank. In South Africa we have Wynns Diesel cleaner, I use it every 3-/4000km in our Audi & Defender since the diesel here can be a bit dodgy:

Guys in the UK land rover community tend to use Forte, they say it works well.

You can also try using some 2-stroke oil (JASO-FC spec) at a 1:200 ratio. I usually buy a bottle at the petrol station and chuck it in before I fill the tank.

Both the Audi and Defender run super-smoothly when I do this ;ol;

Hmmm, thanks for that, will give it a try :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interestingly, i tried the heat glow plugs several times trick and it started straight up

anybody know if its easy to test/repair/replace the controller?
Im assuming plugs and relay are fine as the plugs are relatively new and i had the same issue before i replaced them

·
Registered
789 Posts
Test your glowplugs. Good ones will be 1-2 ohms. I think the glowplug relay is the same as the earlier 2.2TiDs. I wired a DPST relay in parallel with mine, then a pushbutton to ground it on the dash. Now starts perfectly no matter the weather or how long it sits after running. I think someone has also tried disconnecting (with a switch) the engines thermoswitch, so the engine thinks its cold and will fire the glowplugs. Maybe these newer engines are having the same problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my plugs usually light up on a warm day with cold engine.

do u test glow plugs with meter between tip of plug and ground?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Test your glowplugs. Good ones will be 1-2 ohms. I think the glowplug relay is the same as the earlier 2.2TiDs. I wired a DPST relay in parallel with mine, then a pushbutton to ground it on the dash. Now starts perfectly no matter the weather or how long it sits after running. I think someone has also tried disconnecting (with a switch) the engines thermoswitch, so the engine thinks its cold and will fire the glowplugs. Maybe these newer engines are having the same problem?

Hi...Is there any chance you could show or explain in more detail how this is done?...My 2.2tid is very slow to start and running down my battery...Cheers...Paddy

Saab 9-5, 2002, 2.2 tid estate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts