SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently started having a strange random start-up issue in which my car would start up really hard when it had sat for a while, and the problem seems to occur mainly when the fuel gets below 1/2 or so.

I had new spark plugs installed and the fuel filter checked, and it all checked out.

But now recently, once or twice I've had the problem that the car starts up just fine, but when I shift into Reverse (after an admittedly short warm up time), it starts to roll back and then the engine just quits. It's not violent and it doesn't buck, it's just like it gives up.

Any suggestions as to what to look into? Relevant info is 99 9-5 2.3t, automatic, 97,000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
sounds like you might be in the early stage of fuel pump failure. A good tech can measure the current draw on the fuel pump - a nice even sine wave is OK, large dropouts are not.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Whats the transmission fluid like (colour and level) :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had thought about the fuel pump, but it had been suggested to me that it was more likely for that to fail more quickly -- I do see that being a possibility though, especially seeing as it seems to happen more often when the fuel tank is low.

Re: the transmission fluid, I bought this car used a few months ago and I am not really sure about the fluid -- it's probably worth having changed sometime soon anyway. What's the work involved in that (and thus cost?)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Cody said:
Re: the transmission fluid, I bought this car used a few months ago and I am not really sure about the fluid -- it's probably worth having changed sometime soon anyway. What's the work involved in that (and thus cost?)
I'm not suggesting you need to change it.............yet.

Just, what is the colour and level like?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really am unable to check it. I could at home, but I am at school and lack any sort of tools. I have to have my brakes checked (weird vibration issue), so I can always ask them to check out the ATF at the same time.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You pull out the dipstick............ its not exactly a tool heavy task :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, I will check that -- I am still very much in the mode of my previous car (MKIV Jetta) whose ATF fluid was a bear to check.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Air filter is good as of the last checkup, I'm not sure about the O2 sensor -- is there an easy way to check?

Cody

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Not a way i know of.
just replace it.

They are cheap ($30) and easy as pie to replace (one bolt, four wires)
the car will idle better and will get better economy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the Transmission fluid, and the level appears good and the color was a dark-ish (though still very recognizable) brown. I'm not sure what color it is supposed to be, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The auto gearbox oil should be changed at your mileage anyway, so it is worth doing. It will be fairly cheap to get done. Just drains out and then top up. Really needs again at a later date as you cannot drain out all the oil.

My engine cut out (in my 9-5 2.3 auto) the other day when I put it into reverse. It was only 15 minutes after I purchased it :eek: so I thought it had a problem and I'd been caught. But it hasn't done it since. I'm now in my third week of ownership.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has happened more than once to me (not sure if that makes a difference) -- probably 3 occurrences total, once it did it twice in a row.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the car also seems like it doesn't always have as much oomph as I'm used to it having -- I suppose this could be due to the cold weather, I'm not sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts