SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both front springs recently snapped, near the bottom of the coil on the 2005 9-3
There wasn't a recall
But now there is
They say it's caused by corrosion which is BS considering the spring is cleanly snapped
But, they will replace your springs if this happened to you

You may notice clunking/noise going over bumps, check to see if your spring snapped!
And if it is, bring it to the dealer! This is a new recall.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
This is old news, there's got to be dozens and dozens of posts. It is not a recall. They have extended the warranty on the Springs of the affected cars (03-06) for 10 years or 120K miles. They will replace or reimburse only "IF" the Springs have failed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is old news, there's got to be dozens and dozens of posts. It is not a recall. They have extended the warranty on the Springs of the affected cars (03-06) for 10 years or 120K miles. They will replace or reimburse only "IF" the Springs have failed.
Sorry, my bad, we just got the letter in the mail, and last year we were told the problem didn't exist :cool::cheesy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Add me and my 2005 9-3 to the list of "broken front spring" members.
Left side was clunking once in a while, but rather quietly. Then last Tuesday on the way home from work, the right side suddenly went bananas, clanging and clunking at every bump.
Took it in to the dealer Saturday and was told both front springs are broken.
They have to order the springs, but SAAB is covering the entire cost and they gave me a free rental from Enterprise (a Chevy Cobalt - UGH!) to use until the car is done, maybe by end of day Tuesday.
Just have to keep reminding myself each time I get in the Cobalt: "This is not a SAAB. Do not attempt to drive it like a SAAB."

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just went to the dealer for this problem and they charged me to look at it and to tell me that it was not the coil springs but the top bearing plate.
Is that not part of this recall?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I just went to the dealer for this problem and they charged me to look at it and to tell me that it was not the coil springs but the top bearing plate.
Is that not part of this recall?
It is not a recall it is a warranty extension on a specific part, the Front Springs. The warranty was extended to 10 years from the in Service date or 120K miles. If the Springs fail in that period, they will replace them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is not a recall it is a warranty extension on a specific part, the Front Springs. The warranty was extended to 10 years from the in Service date or 120K miles. If the Springs fail in that period, they will replace them.
So you have to have broken springs in order to get them fixed? I mean I have that famous noise from front when the weather gets cold or rainy or when i leave the car parked for a few days without moving it. But then when the car warms up after driving it for about 10min, it mysteriously disappears. I've taken to a dealership and had them check it out on different occasions but they said everything was fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Both front springs recently snapped, near the bottom of the coil on the 2005 9-3
There wasn't a recall
But now there is
They say it's caused by corrosion which is BS considering the spring is cleanly snapped
But, they will replace your springs if this happened to you

You may notice clunking/noise going over bumps, check to see if your spring snapped!
And if it is, bring it to the dealer! This is a new recall.
Interesting. I just passed 100k and noticed a clunking sound on my front drivers side wheel when going over bumps.

Any easy way to tell if my spring is broken?

I have not really looked all that closely. I wouldn't want to waste half a day at the dealership for them to tell me my spring is fine and it's something else.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've noticed something similar in the parking lot at work (only time I hear it), and I had been meaning to have it diagnosed, but didn't have the time.

I'll take it to my mechanic first before the stealership, because I trust him to tell me ONLY what's actually wrong with it, but anything under warranty makes me a happy camper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So for me, the million dollar question (okay, the $400.00 question) is, "what did they change for the '07 model year so that my car isn't included in the TSB/warranty extension?"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts