SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was telling me that a number of years ago before GM took over Saab, he took a tour of the factory. One thing that stood out to him was the big escalator at the back of the factory digging up things. When he asked what they were digging up? The guide told him that what they were digging up were engine blocks. Saab would bury them for about six months and then dig them up all rusty and muddy. From there they would be cleaned and machined, this was part of a pickling of the casting to take out stress in the metal. The Swedish were at the forefront of metallurgy along with I think he said Japan. Germany and North America have only done this on a small scale. So as for core shifting on a classic Saab would be hardly non-. Any one else heard of this?

Dennis

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Sounds great:cheesy:, kind of glad i dont have a GM one even though they look nice and give better MPG.

Go old school 900s;)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thing that he said was about them mainly being hand made. He also went through the Volvo plant and said that the body plant works with the lights out. It is all robots and the metal is fed in one end and out comes a car on the other. Glad the Saab had more attention when being made and better motors as well.:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
c900's were also not made on a production line, i have a video on how a team of people were assembled and the car was assembled piece by piece by hand while standing still. every car went thru an inspection at each stage of assembly. things liek this are what contribute to high production costs and lack of epople trading in for the latest model. saab also spent 15 years perfecting the same car design. the gm900 was a far better business choice thanks to money hungry GM, it had a low production cost, was made on an assembly line by robots, has a less extensive inspection and a lower build quality, so it would need more service and people would buy newer models thus creating more money. if you want a high quality car like a c900 you must buy a rolls royce or a bentley. not many cars are made this way anymore. ever wonder why the c900 it easy for a human with simple tools to take apart? it was put together by humans with simple parts!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
sounds just like lamborghini with everything being made and inspected by hand.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woywitka, You have a video on the way Saab built there cars? I would like to see that, How or where did you get that?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
spg1 said:
Woywitka, You have a video on the way Saab built there cars? I would like to see that, How or where did you get that?
Sure he is referring to the Malmo video on www.saabvideos.com . I know Saab developed that whole "craftsman" concept in Malmo specifically in that time period. I don't know if the other production centres like Arlov and Trollhattan did the same. I will say that my Arlov car is rustier than my Malmos. :lol:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are Arlov, Malmos and Trollhattan? Are these places? and if so how do I know whitch plant my car was made at? I thought there was only one Saab plant. My vin # is TS3AW35L4K3011827

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
in addition the Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki (Nystadt) in Finland did c900 assembly. You can check by VIN decoding where Your car was born ...

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Engine blocks

I saw a program about BMW F1 team in the 80's, they were using engine blocks from 60's & 70's cars in there 1.5 turbo engines as they thought that if they had'nt failed yet they probably would'nt. Supposedly they left the blocks sitting outside for a few years and the technicians used to go and pee on them regularly.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Sounds great:cheesy:, kind of glad i dont have a GM one even though they look nice and give better MPG.

Go old school 900s;)
exactly! they look nice and nice ain't cool.:roll:

·
Registered
356 Posts
spg1 said:
What are Arlov, Malmos and Trollhattan? Are these places? and if so how do I know whitch plant my car was made at? I thought there was only one Saab plant. My vin # is TS3AW35L4K3011827
TS3 - ?
A - 900
W - ?
3 - 3 door
5 - 5 Speed manual
L - Turbo w/ intercooler
4 - checksum
K -1989
3 - Arlov, Sweeden
011827 - Serial #

Here's my vin#

YS3 - SAAB
A - 900
D - ?
5 - 5 door Combi Coupe
5 - 5-speed manual
L - Turbo with intercooler
6 - Checksum
K - 1989
7 - Nystad, Finland

·
Registered
577 Posts
My MY91 car has Factory Designator 5... :confused:

No wonder the EPC can't figure out my VIN# :x

any clues any one?!?!?

anyway, if you consider the Saab 99 as an early 900 (and, basically you should ;)) you can say Saab has had more than thirty years for perfecting the classic 900!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Cool! :cool:

Manufacturer: Saab Automobile AB
Product line: SAAB 900
Body type: 4-door Sedan
Gear box: 5-Speed Manual
Engine type: B212 - 2.1L 16V
Model year: 1991
Assembly plant: Malmo, Sweden
Serial number: 010824
Control symbol: Passed
SRS: none

Yeah, but then why:
RoccoH said:
...No wonder the EPC can't figure out my VIN#...
:confused:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The old 2001-4 version EPC won't decode a Malmo car... Mine will, but it's a 2003-1 or something.

They are the plants in Sweden for the most part where the cars were manufactured. Malmo was a former shipbuilding town where Saab spent $500 million on a new plant. It opened for business during 1989. By 1993, they sold the plant for $50 million :roll: Definately not one of Saab's best business ventures.

Now there is one thing that stands out here though. The drivetrains for Saab cars in this time period, the 900/9000 etc, were manufactured in Sodjertajle (sp?) Sweden, by Scania Truck Division. So it would seem odd to tour the factory where the engines were being made not the cars themselves.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmmmmm, I will ask him again about this. When I was talking to him he said that he saw them diging up the engine blocks. He never said anything about seeing the engine assembly only the body's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts