SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry to bring old debates, but I have spent hours with the search function on our site as well as google, and haven't come up with an exact answer. I'm in need of changing my 03 5 Speed auto transmission fluid, and I know there is some debate on what to put in. I am not doing a flush, just a quick drain and refresher. I know we are supposed to use Saab 3309, and the guys at pep boys(awful store, but closest to my house) said today that it was a dealer only item. There are several "alternatives" but there has yet to be a clear answer on this site as to whether or not you can use them. Mobil makes a 3309 as does Amsoil.............can i use these? I don't want to go to the stealership for something that doesn't require too much though.
Long story short: Can I use another 3309 tranny fluid or do I REALLY need to go to the dealer. Please no "I think" answers. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well.. I can't speak to what type you should use but I recently purchased an 03 Vector with 57K so just to know where I stand with the car, i flushed the tranny fluid and replaced with the reccomended brand. It was kinda pricey and you could save a bit from genuinesaab.com. I must say that the flush was well worth it. The car runs smoother and a bit quieter. In my case the flush was a step in a positive direction.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I got my Mobil 3309 from the same place as NickShu. It's about 1/4 the cost as the dealer, and you get enough for three fluid changes (just changing the fluid only replaces about four quarts).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts