SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Saabers,

I took off the rear pads and rotors today before sundown and realize that I may have the wrong rotors and pads from NAPA. As I looked at the pads, they are pretty thick than the ones I have used on my '81 Ford F150 so I am thinking they must be the right parts because of the thin rotors. Do I need to return them and get the right parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks fine unless you wanted vented rotors since that is what was on there.
Vented rotors, I see, would you recommend the vented ones? I don't plan on racing her except I drive kinda hard but a kinda afraid to do that to a Saab. Maybe that's upgrade i will do later on, I haven't driven her enough yet to see if she needs better ones.

Anyways....... the ones I have now are good to go? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
The Aero's had vented rotors on both front and rear. I would think that a single thick rotor would have issues with piston travel and pad thickness since the thickness of the rotor is much less than the vented. The calipers are designed to have the pistons and pads only slide so far and you're going to start at a partially extended position.

I'd go back and get the vented ones. (I got a full set of nickel plated, slotted, drilled rotors for my 03 Aero a couple of years ago from ebay. They were really reasonably priced from R1 Concepts in SoCal)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I miss understood your post the first time I read it.

But yes you should go and get some vented rotors since that is what your car is setup for. I believe you are going to run into some issues if you don't.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
yeah, that's the wrong stuff. Don't be too hard on the napa folks though, the look-up from most aftermarket brake suppliers kinda blows for Saabs

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I miss understood your post the first time I read it.

But yes you should go and get some vented rotors since that is what your car is setup for. I believe you are going to run into some issues if you don't.
yeah, that's the wrong stuff. Don't be too hard on the napa folks though, the look-up from most aftermarket brake suppliers kinda blows for Saabs
The Aero's had vented rotors on both front and rear. I would think that a single thick rotor would have issues with piston travel and pad thickness since the thickness of the rotor is much less than the vented. The calipers are designed to have the pistons and pads only slide so far and you're going to start at a partially extended position.

I'd go back and get the vented ones. (I got a full set of nickel plated, slotted, drilled rotors for my 03 Aero a couple of years ago from ebay. They were really reasonably priced from R1 Concepts in SoCal)
Thank you all, now I am off to NAPA to get the right parts. I have a feeling I will have to pay extra for the extra steel on the vented rotors. I might try pep boys and see how much they charge for the right parts before I stop at NAPA. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts