SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys, against the popular decision to avoid the AeroformII and other intakes I odered one(Simota AeroForm II) anyway. It was a very easy install. I have to inform you that I ordered this thing expecting nothing more than a good looking piece and driving enjoyment via sound. The sound is fantastic, great spool action and almost aftermarket bov-esque from the dumpvalve. Now I've gotten to know my 9-3 very well including a trip to an AutoX event and the dragstrip. I installed the intake 3 days ago and I didn't post until today because I wanted to get a few thorough days of driving in before posting about this. Jumping the gun and posting in sheer excitement seemed plausible. I can confidently say that I definately felt what I would interpret as a slight increase in power as well as increased responsiveness. Being an Auto my car has never broke the tires loose in 2nd, this is no longer a problem when coming into boost. I just wanted to share my expirience with this product with others questioning a purchase of one. I can't wait to buy my BSR PPC, I'm even thinking about going straight for stage 3.:cheesy:​

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've been bouncing around on intakes for a good bit and I finally installed my Aerform II some weeks ago. Despite some of the naysayers it's definitely a nice add on. Not that I really notice any different from my other intakes, but this one is actually made for the car, rather then making my own. A pretty good investment.

About power? I'm not %100 sure, I didn't really measure if there was any increase (via gauges) but it did seem to push in a little more air from compression, but that could be gauge error. It's hard to tell now because cylinder pressure due to the colder air changes the readings (boost right now is at about 14-15psi)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't added anything but this intake, and I'm changing from factory intake. I wouldn't go as far to say that its going to impress all buyers, but I would say that I felt the difference vs. stock.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You'll notice quicker spooling, much better for your highway driving... then it starts to adapt. but still, you'll still get a bit better performance.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Dach said:
then it starts to adapt.
I'll bring this up again since ARCentric is new to the club.

Just about every calculation the ECM makes uses the MAF reading. The MAF is calibrated for all the specifics of the stock intake including the filter, tubing bends and tubing size. The purpose is to give an accurate indication of air mass under all flow conditions. Lots of time and effort are spent getting this tuned for high precision.

The most critical data point is the tubing diameter where the MAF sensor takes its reading. Most intake kits are oversized tubes. This results in a lean A/F ratio and false calculation of engine load (on the low side) causing the ECM to run too much spark advance for the true load.

Running lean and the pushing the spark advance are sure ways to produce more power, but the risk of engine damaged is increased. The effects will only be permanent for open loop modes (e.g. hard acceleration). For closed loop modes (e.g. light acceleration/deceleration, cruising) the ECM will eventually adjust the long-term fuel trim based on feedback from the oxygen sensor.

Push the tubing size too far on the large side and you will be sure to get a Check Engine Light. I'd be more worried about that "gray zone" where the tubing size is a little off, but not enough to cause a CEL.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=989496

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood, but there's no need for the patronizing demeanor. I've done plenty of archive searches on intakes and read all stickies in the 93ss forum. I believe almost all mods or bolt-ons will have a given amount of wear on a motor, it just comes with adding performance parts to your car. I've accepted that. I've also taken what you have to say in stride and compared the two pieces off the car. What i've found is that they are very close in size at the point of the MAF. The increase in size is really only found at the elbow before turbo, and I'm sure that the fact that the pipe is a thorough diameter helps the air flow. Having other forced induction vehicles I know that running lean can have negative effects on any car, but running a designated amount lean can produce a impressive power increase.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
ARCentric said:
Understood, but there's no need for the patronizing demeanor.
Not meant to be patronizing. Most people never bother to read before jumping in. Even fewer measure the parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts