SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I just purchased my very first car, and it just so happens to be a 1997 Saab 900 hatchback. My dad test drove it with me, becuase I don't drive standard...yet, and it seemed amazing. It has 180K miles on it and not a shake or anyhting when we took it on the highway. Came with new tires, new brake pads and rotors, and new clutch. It's got a 6 CD Changer and power seats. My dad and I think that we got a tremendous deal, what do you think?

Tom =]

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Pictures - where's the pictures?

Tom -

Welcome aboard - sounds like you got a great first car - however - if you're going to hang around here you need to do one thing - post pictures!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! The car is being dropped off tonight at 7, so I'll try to get some up over the weekend. I'm so pumped, no one where I live drives saabs except for a few teachers, so I feel rather sophisticated =]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sweet find, Wish I had my 900 back in highschool. Insta chic magnet ;)
Be sure to check out the NG 900 fourm, It's especially for 900's made after 93. ;)
I also hope that you are a car guy, you won't want another car, and you'll want to sleep in it. lawlz

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I am a car guy, I'm so pumped. I can't wait to wash it and shine it, and clean it and....DRIVE IT!
I'm so pumped. 180k miles is alot but I've heard that these things run forever.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great car to learn to drive in, what colour is it? I've always had a thing for blue NG900s. Turbo???

Sounds like you've bagged yourself a great first car mate.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest with you, I looked at it at 7pm when it was pretty dark out. It appeared to be either dark blue or black. It isn't a turbo either. It just seemed right. When I was in the car, I wasn't thinking about driving fast or how well I could race in it. I was just really enjoying the luxury of the car. I really enjoyed how spacious and enjoyable the ride was. I had just test drove a 96 Nissan Maxima, and it shook as soon as I hit 45 mph. My dad went aobut 80 mph on the highway and it was wisper quiet and didn't even twitch. I kind of wish I had a turbo, I kind of have a lead foot :lol:, but it's alright. I had to pay with my own money so $1,900 was a great price!

·
Registered
392 Posts
lol you freakin stole it. 180k is just getting broken in. I'm glad my first car in highschool wasn't fast, I already have enough problems with speeding and the fuzz. If college is in your future considerations, you will love that car. It's like a clown car, I pretty much had my entire dorm room stuffed in the back. Awsome car for moving back and forth.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
KaMiKaZi_t0M said:
Oh I am a car guy, I'm so pumped. I can't wait to wash it and shine it, and clean it and....DRIVE IT!
I'm so pumped. 180k miles is alot but I've heard that these things run forever.
180K????? ALOT??? for a SAAB? None sense :lol:

http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2006/09/the_long_way_home_1.html

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/miles/miles900.html

It sounds like she was pampered and well taken care of. Keep taking good care of her and you'll see how long it will last you :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Listen it sounds like you have a good deal. Turbos have there pros and Cons. More power pros. Cons you have to let the Turbo cool down befor shutting down. Or you have major problems.

Sound system that has pros and cons. Pros It sounds good. Bad one big bump the cd players skip like record player. But it a easy fix. watch out for bumbs in the road slow down or drive around it.

No off roading. lol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
First and foremost, Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like a good deal. Be patient learning to drive the standard, it has its rewards. A 5sp S is a great way to fall in love with the Saab expierience. Great for the first timer, specially one still in school and probobly budget minded. Nice to see you wanted to stick with eating rice and not drive it. I'm proud... :cry: (For those I've offended, I've been guilty in the past) Keep up on the PM's and you'll have many years together (while saving for the Turbo).....

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's finally at ym house. Boy is she a beaut. I just have one remaing question. What type of speakers are these? I thought I saw somewhere that Saab and Bose were partners, but I may be completley wrong. I would just like to know becuase I think they sound pretty good for stock speakers.

By the way, I named my car Maud. That was the name of the lady that practically gave this car to me!

Tom =]

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Great 1st car. Is it a V6 or a 4cyl (2.3)? If it's a V6 read up on the timing belt and PAY ATTENTION. If it's a non-turbo 4cyl then just keep an eye on the oil level and serpentine belts, pulleys etc... and keep an eye on the fuel pump.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not sure on the speakers, but if it is the factory head unit it is made by Clarion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am going to show you all how to see what fact and fiction.

Sound system if you know the type of speakers try Dogpile.com or google.com and Ask.com.

You will get alot more info this way.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Atol said:
I am going to show you all how to see what fact and fiction.

Sound system if you know the type of speakers try Dogpile.com or google.com and Ask.com.

You will get alot more info this way.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, me niether...

It is a 4cyl non turbo, so Ill keep an eye out on the stuff you mentioned, thanks =]
I'm going to post some pictures soon after a nice wash tommorow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts