SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SAAB 9-3 Anniversary has been in the body shop for 3 days, to repair a dent/scratch on the hood where some construcion ape dropped a piece of cement. I had a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix 4-door as a loaner. Here are my notes:

- The obvious: Too big, too many useless "design" features added in poor taste (there are 9-10 air vents on the dash!), it's a gas guzzler.
- The disappointment: I used to think that Pontiac built excitement. But the acceleration and handling is quite uninspiring.
- The unthinkable: I was looking for "shared GM parts" that might also be found in a SAAB. The only one I could find was the yello airbag indicator icons on the dash. I know I will never look at mine the same way again.
- The comical: When you start her up, all the nedles on the dash go to the top and back, as if performing some kind of flashy "self-test". At the same time, the equivalent of the "SID" - a red digital readout above the ugly 1990's style radio - displays a stylised "GP" logo (GP=Grand Prix - get it?). While driving this screen displays the day, month, and year. Very handy if you are obsessive-compulsive aboput chesking the current calendar date while driving I suppose.

I am picking up Frida this afternoon, and after only 3 days, I can hardly wait to get back behind the wheel of a car that "makes sense"!

But it really makes you wonder - why do people buy these ugly, inefficient cars? Who is GM targetting with the Grand Prix? I just don't get...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Lots of cars do the "gauge sweep" it is a nice gee whiz feature that will hook in the test driver to make them think high tech. Kind of like the night panel button.

People buy Grand Prix's because they are really inexpensive for a medium sized car with good power and a very large trunk. They sell lots of them.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
One thing I don't get is why the "SID" on the GP shows the battery voltage and, I believe, the coolant temperature but we don't get that information on the Saab SID.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I drove a Grand Prix GT with the 260 hp supercharged engine.

It wasn't slow. Lots of torque steer, though!

I don't know that many people buy the Grand Prix these days. It is long in the tooth. I'd choose an Impala over the GP. It's a more updated version of the same platform. Nicer interior, too.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
they may be ugly and inefficient but...

They're cheap
look decent (to some people)
spacious
cheap to repair
reliable

The list goes on. Why would someone who doesn't care about driving dynamics buy a saab that breaks down, squeaks, crunching suspension, broken window regulators etc, etc, etc?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Don't discount cheap to repair and reliable.

GM has been making this car on the same platform for 18 years. They know how to build them, and the parts are plentiful.

The resale value of these cars is attrocious. You can pick 'em up cheap. That's the appeal!

And, you know, compared to Billy-Bob's T-R-U-K truck, they're NOT gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ironically, a friend of mine who has a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix purchased new at the beginning of 2006 (it was a lot-leftover) has had more electrical trouble with it in the first year he owned it than I have had with my 2006 Saab (zero electrical trouble).

They ended up replacing the body control module on the Grand Prix. The symptoms were that the gauges would go completely dead while driving the car.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Subaru's also have that feature. Why are you comparing your Saab to a Pontiac Grand Prix anyways? Their like two different classes of vehicles. I don't get your comment about the dash having the date display. That's what I leave my SID set to all the time. If you speed you need to go for their GXP series. The new G8 is a hell of a car and comes fully loaded for just over $32,000. It's a very appealing car and will be a great seller for Pontiac.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sadly, the only market for the once exciting Grand Prix is the rental car market.:( Nobody buys them anymore. I was surpised that Pontiac has an '08 GP, I thought it was replaced by the G8. I guess the GP platform is just there to absorb GM's current production capacity for the ancient 3800 V6 engines for the rental market. ;oops:

·
Banned
631 Posts
My father owns a 2005 grand prix and loves it. I wish they came in Standard i would defintaly find it fun to drive. expecially if it were the 3.8 supercharged.

Stated above "cheap to repair" most defineately.

And where are you to come off making fun of Gm products. who do you think owns Saab? guess what. GM

Gm owns more then you think. Anything with the name Delphi, Gm owns. Look inside some imported cars, look at their wiring, its delphi. GM! I bet you didn't know that now did ya.

Delphi is also in a lot of heavier dutier equipment such as "International Trucks" How do i know? I am a heavy duty truck and coach mechanic.

Back on topic though.

The grand prix is a very nice car. the 3.8 stock has enough power for the every day driver. And I'll tell you one thing right now. My fathers car wont have as much problems as my Saab will have in the time of ownership.

I love my Saab but my god, ive owned it for less then 2 months and so far ive been at the dealer for warranty work 4 times. Its all free which is good but what a ****en nuscence. and guess what. Im going in there tomorrow again!

My final thought.

You may dislike the Grand prix or most pontiac "lineup" featured cars. But they are very inexpensive to buy, repair, and not have to worry about many problems happening.

Saab is definately a nicer car, but lets say, they need to improve on it. Big time. Since even the 2007's are having problems etc etc etc. I think they are trying to produce a "high end luxury car" when they need to spend a little more time designing / perfecting electrical / problematic history of the car.

My 2 cents. excuse me if im hard to understand.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In my search for a new car, which has narrowed down to 9-3 2.0T or Aero, I've driven most cars under the sun including the Grand Prix. The only one that I would consider is the GXP with the Northstar V8 and Nav. As an earlier post mentioned, it has HUGE torque steer. It is fun to drive though, just not quite as nimble and spirited as the 9-3. But in a straight line it is fast. As I recall, it too uses the active fuel management system to kill fuel to some of the cylinders at cruise to conserve fuel.

Not a terrible car though. At best, 25 MPG on the hwy and behaving yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife had a vibe before I got the Saab for her, and recently I had a grand prix rental for work and I noticed one thing in both of these cars. The LED readouts are red and , to me are way to hard to read in the day time. Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
803 Posts
freed929 said:
My wife had a vibe before I got the Saab for her, and recently I had a grand prix rental for work and I noticed one thing in both of these cars. The LED readouts are red and , to me are way to hard to read in the day time. Has anyone else had this problem.
Same here, only more extreme. I can't drive cars with red illumination because of a type of color blindness that makes me unable to distinguish between red and most shades of orange and pink. On top of that, my eyes can't make out the border of red colored objects or writing, meaning that a red lighted instrument cluster or dash display is nothing but a jumbled mess of squiggles and spots. I can't even tell how fast I'm going.:lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
the only pontiac i will ever want to drive...

Is the Pontaic Solstice GXP

The turbo charged model off the Saturn Sky

Note the non GXP was the supercharged one. The new 2007 Solstice GXP is TURBO baby

and possibly i would look.. just look at a Chey 2008 Cobalt. As GM mention it will now have the Saturn Sky turbo engine platform.

·
Registered
130 Posts
kcaudell said:
In my search for a new car, which has narrowed down to 9-3 2.0T or Aero, I've driven most cars under the sun including the Grand Prix. The only one that I would consider is the GXP with the Northstar V8 and Nav. As an earlier post mentioned, it has HUGE torque steer. It is fun to drive though, just not quite as nimble and spirited as the 9-3. But in a straight line it is fast. As I recall, it too uses the active fuel management system to kill fuel to some of the cylinders at cruise to conserve fuel.

Not a terrible car though. At best, 25 MPG on the hwy and behaving yourself.
The GP GXP does not use the Northstar V8, it uses a pushrod 5.3L V8.
The retired Bonneville GXP used the Northstar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts