SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think while trying to adjust my base boost I have torn my diagram in my waste gate actuator. I think I know where I can get a used actuator from but I don’t know how to get it off. That’s why I tried adjusting the last one on the car.

O yeah and I never found this allusive locking nut. The closest nut to the nut that needs adjusting is the nut tht holds the exhaust on the turbo.

[font=&quot]Anyone
[/font]

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Most standard actuators are spot welded to the bracket. The bracket itself is bolted to the body of the turbo, but removal requires the oil return to be removed from the underside of the turbo core.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw tht and thought if i undid it i would get a load of liquid on my head. If the cars off will anything come out of there. The oil should all be in the sump which is below tht isn't it?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Hmmm... my actuator is Bolted to it's bracket (87)... so was the OEM it replaced.
A torn Actuator Diaphragm results in huge uncontrollable boost.. fun while it lasts :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
"but removal requires the oil return to be removed from the underside of the turbo core." - on both my old 85 and 91 T16's the actuator was bolted to the bracket. It was easy to remove and replace/adjust and I don't recall having to touch the oil lines.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The actuator on my MY89 was spot welded to the bracket and the bracket bolted to the turbo. My fathers '87 T8 also had a spot welded bracket/actuator.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm i giess i will have to undo the oil send and make sure my heads well out the way just incase :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trackside said:
I very much doubt this will be the case.
Hmm i think it might, as when i posted this i saw tht bolt but thought there was more.

Does anyone know where this locking nuts surposed to be?

·
Registered
883 Posts
The oil feed is on the top of the turbo and is attached to the cast body. The Actuator is attached to the bottom of the turbo by 2 or 3 bolts and to the alloy intake compressor. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UNDO THE OIL SENDER PIPE.The locknut is on the shaft of the actator.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[font=&quot]OK

There is a pipe right in front of a nut tht comes off the turbo from the underneath and goes to the head below the manifold . Name tht pipe (well substance tht passes though it)
[/font]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was only working with what others said before. (proberly got it confused)

Please don't hurt me :D

·
Registered
883 Posts
What year is your car - my 91 with the mitsubishi turbo has a different oil feed and my 85 was not a watercooled turbo so it may well have a different setup as well. The parts CD does not show the oil drain at all. If you do have to remove the oil drain be very carefull with it as the rubber hose has likely gone hard with heat and age - if you bend it too much it will crack.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mine a 87 T16 with the T3

I will be carfull with tht hose. There shoudl be any oil come out of the should there?

Which ones the lock nut?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:confused: If 5 is the locking nut. Which one do you adjust?

I think i can handle a little dripping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts