SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best approach to diagnosing an ABS issue?
The ABS/Brake warning lights have lit up the display panel and the speedometer has stopped working on this 1999 9-3. From the other threads I have read this problem could be the result of:
a) malfunctioning ABS control module ($50 repair from BBA Remanufacturing)
b) faulty wiring to the driver's side rear ABS sensor wiring harness
c) failed ABS sensor in the rear hub (rear hub/sensor replacement).
d) unclean wiring connections.

Is there a way to diagnose which of these is the true problem? I don't have a Tech-2 but do have a local Autozone and a small voltmeter. The problem started the day after I changed the rear driver's side tire. I used a racketing wrench to remove the stubborn lug nuts that held the snow tires. Could the racketing vibrations have damaged the ABS sensor? The fact that I was just working on the wheel that houses the suspicious ABS sensor (same one that monitors vehicle speed) has left some doubt in my mind that the ABS control module is at fault. Would a voltmeter test of the right rear ABS sensor help me rule out ("c" and "d") from the list above?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a similar problem but without the abs light, turned out to be just the cluster. But pretty much everyone i talked to on here and in person said it was most likely the ABS modual. I changed the rear sensor, which was fairly easy, since i didnt have an abs light but turned out to not be the problem, i wanna say it was $90 for the rear hub. as far as testing the wiring, mind you im no expert on this only dabbled here and there, i assume you should see some voltage across the wire that plugs into the sensor. I'm just not sure what you should see.

You could get a new hub and just plug it in and spin it, have some one see if the speedo moves, that way you can take it back if its not the problem instead of gonig through the hassle of changing it out.

But again im not an expert on this, its just what i remember from a whole bunch of reading on the matter.

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In conclusion: The ABS repair at BAA did the job. After installing the repaired unit the check engine light went off after ~ 150 miles.
Much thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts