SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a few threads here and on other forums on DI cassette, I'm fairly confused now, so bear with me if I sound stupid (as usual).
I have a 00 93 LPT (154bhp version) with Red DI Cassette and 78K, do you think it's a good idea to buy a replacement DI cartridge and keep in the car in case it dies on me (are they prone to that as well as Black ones?). Or else even replace it now and keep the other one in the boot for emergencies? Or am I being a bit OCD and it's too soon?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I would find an inexpensive used one to keep in the trunk. When the main one finally goes. Then its a good time to buy brand new.

We don't have that version here, but if it has an air mas meter, I would get a black one. If it uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor, I would keep with red.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
ashimashi said:
Read a few threads here and on other forums on DI cassette, I'm fairly confused now, so bear with me if I sound stupid (as usual).
I have a 00 93 LPT (154bhp version) with Red DI Cassette and 78K, do you think it's a good idea to buy a replacement DI cartridge and keep in the car in case it dies on me (are they prone to that as well as Black ones?). Or else even replace it now and keep the other one in the boot for emergencies? Or am I being a bit OCD and it's too soon?
Are you the original owner? I am the 2nd owner of both of my cars and the date codes for the DI cassettes are only ab year old each.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies guys. No I'm the 3rd owner, better check the date. I suppose it's easy to find?

AFAIK mine wouldn't be one of the recalled one, it's a red one on a 154bhp (T5?) model... but I would be happy if someone proves me wrong :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
ashimashi said:
Thanks for replies guys. No I'm the 3rd owner, better check the date. I suppose it's easy to find?

AFAIK mine wouldn't be one of the recalled one, it's a red one on a 154bhp (T5?) model... but I would be happy if someone proves me wrong :)
Nope, Red wouldn't be covered. The date code is easy to find. Remove the DI and flip it over. There is a 4-digit number. That number is the date code. The one for my 99 T5 is 0624 which means that the DI was made the on the 24th week 0f 2006. (No colors... that was for the explanation ;) )

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think 78 is a bit too soon to be worried about the DIC, but definitely not too early to get one just in case. I'm at 141k on my original cassette, so you never know. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Saabers should always have a spare DI, at least an Ebay used one, just in case.
Mine died at 85K.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a QC problem; the average reliable span is 100 K, + or - 50K, far too much....indicative of poor quality control.

At 78K, I would buy a new one, unless I knew for certain I could buy used with no more than 50K....
IMO, the base problem is heat - too much heat - the DIC needs to be cooled.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
earthworm said:
There is a QC problem; the average reliable span is 100 K, + or - 50K, far too much....indicative of poor quality control.

At 78K, I would buy a new one, unless I knew for certain I could buy used with no more than 50K....
IMO, the base problem is heat - too much heat - the DIC needs to be cooled.
Interesting point there EW. I wonder if an aluminum heatsink or liquid cooled heatsink would be a possible modification. It would be ******* but what about an aluminum heatsink with a hoodscoop?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd think the engineers would be working hard on this problem - a finned aluminum heat-sink is an excellent idea..

The QC is more difficult
The exact cause of failure must be known in every case - after thousands of breakdowns, a pattern should be obvious ...

Saab has been using this DIC for 20 years now,AFAIK....the data base should be huge by now.....

How about immersing this whole thing(DIC) in the V6 oil cooler....are modern day epoxies at a 100% quality level for at least 15 years..yet ???
I'm not really serious about this - the Diesel engine driving electric traction motors is a more effective solution, IMO...much like the railroad locomotives..

·
Registered
108 Posts
KSpark said:
I think 78 is a bit too soon to be worried about the DIC, but definitely not too early to get one just in case. I'm at 141k on my original cassette, so you never know. *knock on wood*

Mine died at around 80k

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you keep the car for a while there is a good chance you are going to have to get a new DIC anyway when it fails, and it could be at an inopportune time. If you are planning on say doubling the mileage, and you are talking about 78k miles (not kilometers), then if I were you I'd get a new DIC and put your old one in the boot as a spare. That way you know the reliability of the DIC. If you are not planning on driving it that long, then a used one is good cheap insurance (compared to having to pay for a tow). Mine lasted 100k miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all your advice guys.
Wonky -> yes, I'm planning to keep it until the end ;-)
So I guess I'll get a new one and replace it and keep the old one in the boot then.
Steering Rack clamp and Brace have to wait again!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts