SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Saab users!

I'm in a need of a new DI Cassette. Although the one I'm using isn't completely out yet (I get a few misfires here and there) I think its time to replace it and keep the other one in the boot for emergencies.

Anyhow, I've come accross this company that makes aftermarket DI for Saabs (check the following link: http://www.proparts.se/direct-ignition-cassette-harness)

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience this manufacturer? Moreover with DI cassettes? (

The price that I found for a brand new one is 650PLN / 120GBP / 150 EUR (which is much lower than the official SAAB one)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have received parts from Pro Parts Sweden. None have failed me. I say I "received" because my order was placed through The Saab Site. So they are well enough for them to use as a supplier.

Fine parts but I have not ordered anything as integral as the DI Cassette. Just a few sensors and hoses and filters and such. One of my 95's is gonna need one soon and I too would like to purchase one before this one goes completely bad. I would very seriously consider purchasing one from them at that price to save a significant amount like that. Would appreciate ANY feedback on non-OE DIC's.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Never known a non OE DI last more than a year i'm afraid. Had plenty of people on here buy them and had them die after 5 months, they all ended up buying OE. I can't speak specifically about Pro Parts Sweden DI's however just non OE DI's in general.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've gone ahead and ordered it.

I spoke to the supplier, and he said that they have sold a lot of the 'red' DICs, not so many of the 'black' - but generally, they have had no complaints or returns. (The supplier is verified as 'good' by my mechanic)

It comes with a 1 year guarantee, so I hope it will work past that.

I'll let you know if it breaks :p (touch wood)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well I've gone ahead and ordered it.

I spoke to the supplier, and he said that they have sold a lot of the 'red' DICs, not so many of the 'black' - but generally, they have had no complaints or returns. (The supplier is verified as 'good' by my mechanic)

It comes with a 1 year guarantee, so I hope it will work past that.

I'll let you know if it breaks :p (touch wood)
1 year is good.
On the 3.0 in the US you can get the DI's from Advance Auto, $280+- with lifetime guarantee. I think they are Chinese but with the lifetime as long as you have a spare your ok. They dont carry anything for the 2.3
The €150 is good too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I've received this new (aftermarket) DI by Pro Parts Sweden. It's installed and running fine. I can't say much about the reliability but hopefully it should last a while (fingers crossed). I'll post if anything happens.

Somethings that I noticed:
It looks like its a 'old red' DI Cassettte. The top cover has been repainted with a black (more black than the original) powder coat of paint. And on the inside, where the 4 coils come out, you can see remenants of the red paint (which looks like its been washed off). So generally, it looks like their recycling old DIs, and replacing the electronics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got a di cassette off ebay from a 9-5 that had been shunted and written off, the shunt was at the rear

I thought for £50 it was worth a go and its been fine now for 2 years with no check engine light, unlike the origina

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Trouble ahead

Somethings that I noticed:
It looks like its a 'old red' DI Cassettte. The top cover has been repainted with a black (more black than the original) powder coat of paint. And on the inside, where the 4 coils come out, you can see remenants of the red paint (which looks like its been washed off). So generally, it looks like their recycling old DIs, and replacing the electronics.
Red is for T5 electronics, Blalck is for T7. The Red ones are not "forward compatible" to work with the T7 system and always fail after a short period of use.

What is the Model number and date of manufacture? Both items are displayed on the SEM sticker on the bottom side of the unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the Model number and date of manufacture? Both items are displayed on the SEM sticker on the bottom side of the unit.
There are no stickers, they have all been removed. The only serial is a different one, that doesnt correspond to the SAAB part number (i.e. 55559955), but to the ProParts number (i.e. 28349955)

I'm aware that they're not forward compatible. I was talking about it with the mechanic, and he seems to think that they probably reuse the case (I doubt they would go as far as having a form for injection moulding for a DI - too high costs) so they reuse the case, and replace the electronics with new ones.

I mean if they were selling a red cassette, that was simply painted 'black' that would be ridiculous! (fingers crossed - say it aint so)

Its working fine at the moment, gunned it a few times since its been put in and no misfires or jerks. But I guess time will tell.

How long would a brand new SAAB DI Cassette usually last?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had a brand new black DIC installed on my car on 8/2007 with 91,000 miles on the clock.

It recently just died and I just bought another new one. My car now has 169,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the life is based on time or mileage. In my case it was 5 years and 80,000 miles. I was surprised the unit failed though. I was hoping it would last at least 100,000 miles or longer.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
Never known a non OE DI last more than a year i'm afraid. Had plenty of people on here buy them and had them die after 5 months, they all ended up buying OE. I can't speak specifically about Pro Parts Sweden DI's however just non OE DI's in general.
If the OE is supposedly the best money can buy, where is it made and what differentiates it from the aftermarket brands?
I know this is the life of the car here, but 500.00 seems astronomical for what this part consists of. I have 100K on mine ( i think it's original)
and no issues, leaks, knocks, etc.. Changed plugs about 15K ago w/the proper NGK-Rs'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My OEM direct ignition cassette started failing 2 weeks ago. That would be less than 2 years and maybe ~35k miles between replacements. At ~$450 OEM vs ~$225 for Professional Parts Sweden, both guaranteed for only one year, I see no reason to go with OEM if they are not going to last much longer than aftermarket.

I installed my new PPS DIC this weekend, swapped in new spark plugs - BCOP7ES (I forgot how much of a p.i.t.a precise gapping these things are) - and it's running great again. We'll see for how long.

In related news...
I have a lightly used, malfunctioning OEM D.I. cassette with nice red plate and healthy rubber boots available for sale.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just ordered mine from international auto parts here in Ohio. Said it was a beck n arney shipping out of Hawaii. Just called today and the DIC was in. Asked him to check for where it was made and he said printed on the cassette said made in China! He mentioned it had a year warranty, so I guess its a go for 177 plus shipping

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
There are no stickers, they have all been removed. The only serial is a different one, that doesnt correspond to the SAAB part number (i.e. 55559955), but to the ProParts number (i.e. 28349955)

I'm aware that they're not forward compatible. I was talking about it with the mechanic, and he seems to think that they probably reuse the case (I doubt they would go as far as having a form for injection moulding for a DI - too high costs) so they reuse the case, and replace the electronics with new ones.

I mean if they were selling a red cassette, that was simply painted 'black' that would be ridiculous! (fingers crossed - say it aint so)

Its working fine at the moment, gunned it a few times since its been put in and no misfires or jerks. But I guess time will tell.

How long would a brand new SAAB DI Cassette usually last?
Professional parts Sweden is the old Scan Tech, not the best maker of anything ( they jsut buy and package chinese junk)

UHH yes, there are chinese suppliers who make red DIs and have been for years, they now paint them black and say they are for T7. You are slowly destroying your engine ( but saving big bucks!)

I have 144k on my 2003 DI, had 2 on my 2000, one at 50k under warranty, second at 140k...

I just ordered mine from international auto parts here in Ohio. Said it was a beck n arney shipping out of Hawaii. Just called today and the DIC was in. Asked him to check for where it was made and he said printed on the cassette said made in China! He mentioned it had a year warranty, so I guess its a go for 177 plus shipping
Chinese ( yes Beck Arnley will buy from China ) units are crap, it will destroy your engine if it misses go un- noticed ( do you have open SID to see MISS?) but hopefully it will fail fully before then ( but you are saving big$$ too)

Car quest gets DIs for saab ( they call them ignition coils) and they are OEM priced at 300 or so...

·
Registered
554 Posts
With the price of these things going up exponentially. Up to about $500 at the time of this post, i may consider retrofitting to a T5 setup. It should be possible using parts from the 1-year only T5 9-3.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rather than retrofitting, just hold out for something decent on Ebay. I checked there once and didn't find anything to my liking. After being told that Carquest was completely out of them with no known date for getting more and having Goldwing tell me my best bet was to call every day until they got another one in, I checked Ebay again. Scored a great one: made in 2009, came prepped with spark plug grease in the boots, and cost $169 before shipping. No more check engine light and no more "rattling"/pinging from misfires.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
With the price of these things going up exponentially. Up to about $500 at the time of this post, i may consider retrofitting to a T5 setup. It should be possible using parts from the 1-year only T5 9-3.
Haha no you can't retro to T5 you would need to change dice twice and more.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts