SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions. Im pretty sure my DI Cassette has gone bad, Ive tested it and the spark is weak on one of the nodes. I've heard rumors that the new "black" DI from the 9-5 can be used on a 9000, is there a point to upgrading?

Also, should I use Platinum plugs or just the stock NGK's?? Ive heard of a few people using the Bosch platinum 2's or 4's... Anbody have any experience with them? Good or Bad?

Any input would be great, Im ordering a DI on monday

·
Registered
149 Posts
The black T7 DI cassettes can be used on T5 engines, but not vice-versa. There's no real advantage to using one over the other, though. I'm pretty sure the stock red ones are cheaper, too.

Stick with the stock NGK plugs. T5 requires resistor-style plugs with a very specific gap in order to act as knock sensors, and with anything other than stock, you run the risk of frying the DI cassette.

Plus, the only real advantage of platinum plugs is that they don't have to be changed as often. On a car like the 9000, with plugs that can be changed in 5 minutes, there's no point in using them, anyways.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried using platinum plugs in my '96 9000CS and the check engine light came on within a few minutes... The dealer told me to never, ever use anything but the NGKs that the manual specifies...

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Well, did you use the NGK R or resistor type plugs? Did you also use the 9 5 spec plug which is Resistor type and is a PHRF 6 or 7 heat range? I think that's the number of the NGK plug.

I agree that no Bosch, Champion, Autolite, or other brand of plug should be in a SAAB engine and always use R plugs in DI engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts