SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here and have had a good look around for this information the FAQs, by searching etc. but I still can't sort this out...

I'm wondering whether there was ever a 2000 (may also have been 1999/2001) model 9-3(S?) which didn't have turbo? The one I'm looking at is a very basic model, 4-door hatch, 2.0L, no alloys, no spoiler etc.

I ask because my state's regulations prohibit me from driving a car with a turbocharger and I really can't tell.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm in Australia if that makes a difference to which models we have imported?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
jaaake said:
Hi I'm new here and have had a good look around for this information the FAQs, by searching etc. but I still can't sort this out...

I'm wondering whether there was ever a 2000 (may also have been 1999/2001) model 9-3(S?) which didn't have turbo? The one I'm looking at is a very basic model, 4-door hatch, 2.0L, no alloys, no spoiler etc.

I ask because my state's regulations prohibit me from driving a car with a turbocharger and I really can't tell.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm in Australia if that makes a difference to which models we have imported?
Sorry I cant answer your question, but why are you not allowed a turbocharger ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
From what I can find for at least the cars sold in the states. The non-turbo engine offering was eliminated when the NG900 was replaced with the 9-3 in 1999. Starting in 1999 you had (3) engine offerings a 185hp 2.0L (S), 205hp 2.0L (SE) and the 230hp 2.3L (Viggen)............... All turbos......:cry:

·
Registered
216 Posts
jaaake said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jaaake,
There was a 2.0i engine in the 9-3 but it was only available for 6 months, the release date was 1st June 1998 and ceased on the 1st January 1999. It came with 6.5" by 15" wheels as to whether they were steel or alloy I don't know. The 900 had steel wheels so it may well have had steel wheels. If this is what you are looking at it has 130 bhp (96kw) @ 6100 rpm and maximum torque of 177 Nm @ 4300 rpm.
It is not hard to tell if it has a turbo, lift the bonnet and immediately in front of you is the exhaust, look to see if it has a heat shield and if it does look under that and you should see a snail like object roughly about 6-8 inches in diameter, that is the turbo.
I gather you are on a provisional licence, if so, how long before you can drive a turbo car? It may be worth the wait for the turbo as you cannot feasibly convert from naturally aspirated to turbo. My 9-3 "S" was built in October 1999 and sold new as a 2001 coupe with 2000 spec engine. Saab's are slow sellers here and tend to hang around for a while. The build date in Sweden can vary considerably from the compliance plate date. My car had the compliance plate fitted in January 2001. The compliance plates are not fitted until the car is sold and released from bond. So check the build date as well as the compliance plate date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help guys, the next thing I'll have to do is check under the hood for the turbo.

Oh, and Presto was right- I'm on a provisional license, its about 2 years before I get my full license so that's why this could present a problem ;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
so, until you prove you can drive, you can't drive a turbo car?
interesting. I like how Australia thinks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
G96nt said:
Agreed, However it should be a hp rated criteria not cc or turbo. How dare they keep these new drivers from the pleasure of a Chevy Sprint 3cyl Turbo for their first car. :cheesy:

·
Registered
216 Posts
G96nt said:
That's ok up to a point but it deprives young drivers from some very safe cars such as our Saabs. Motorcyclists can only ride 250cc machines on a provisional licence and then not all 250's, some are deemed too powerful. Some states but not all are now relaxing this and allowing some specified larger bikes. The problem is all the young riders spend 12 months on a 250 and then many of them leap straight onto a 1000cc sports bike. Once the politicians meddle in these things it all turns to crap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I got the VIN number, along with a copy of the page in the owners manual to decrypt it.

It turns out it's a 1999 9-3S with a 2.0L 'ecopower' engine. I looked this up on the internet, the engine is a B204E and the site mentions 'low pressure turbo'. Would this be considered a turbocharger? I'll probably contact the state roads authority to check what the situation is.

I really think some kind of ban on turbochargers for young drivers is neccessary, however, the current rules don't accomodate for something like this SAAB which is hardly very powerful and is a lot safer than many other cars out there on the road anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is a turbo model which runs around 6 pounds boost which is the same as mine the output is 154 hp and has the T5 engine management system, which is the best for modifying. For less than $3000 you can double the output of this engine and up the boost to 18 psi+. See what Vic Roads says you may be lucky but I doubt it. This would be an ideal car to grow with as the potential to modify and improve this car is enormous. If you want to see how well a Saab can go check out RPM Photography and go to September 23 Mt. Cotton hill climb. Go to the browsing album and page 7 of 25 there are a series of photos of my 9-3 number 93.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks like it was a fun day Presto! How did you go? How many runs did you get?

Some awesome cars there taking part too!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did my usual, 4th in class, after 5 rounds out of 6 I am in 3rd place in class and I don't think I can be beaten for 3rd place. The class is for road registered vehicles over 2001cc, the Saab being 3375cc after its base capacity is multiplied by 1.7 for the turbo. Biggest capacity is about 6450cc, a 3.8 Commodore with an aftermarket supercharger followed by a stroked 5 litre Commodore which is 5500cc soon to be 6000cc.
Saturday week I will be competing in the Australian Hill Climb Championships at Mt. Cotton this year. Have to run in proper class as it is a National championship, improved production 3001cc to 6000cc. Would have liked to have a Quaife diff fitted but nobody including Quaife would reply to my e-mails, so no LSD. Only improvement will be Koni adjustables. Those tyres I am smoking are softest compound Dunlop Formula R s sprint tyres. Good fun but the track can bite, very narrow with very little run off. If you look up MG car club Queensland you can see a map of the track, it has 3 climbs and 2 descents all very steep.
I have to be careful to bring the car home in one piece as it is our only car and ferrying the groceries home on our motorcycle is a many trip exercise. I know I have had to do it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
green machine said:
Agreed, However it should be a hp rated criteria not cc or turbo. How dare they keep these new drivers from the pleasure of a Chevy Sprint 3cyl Turbo for their first car. :cheesy:
Yes indeed damn them! My little bro has one of these cars, sans turbo though. :roll:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
not to go tooooo ar off-topic;

I'm pretty sure the turbo sprint is a 1.3L 4-bang'r
I could be totally off, and probably should have googled first.

I tried autocrossing the 9-3 a couple times. every time I did, I wasted a TON of tire on the course. seeing those pictures reminds me why I prefer Straight-line racing in the saab.

·
Registered
719 Posts
G96nt said:
not to go tooooo ar off-topic;

I'm pretty sure the turbo sprint is a 1.3L 4-bang'r
I could be totally off, and probably should have googled first.

I tried autocrossing the 9-3 a couple times. every time I did, I wasted a TON of tire on the course. seeing those pictures reminds me why I prefer Straight-line racing in the saab.
No problem, you had me questioning my memory... I looked it up. Turbocharged and non Turbo versions of the 1.0 L 3-cylinder engine were available in the Sprint from 1987 to 1990 (1987-1988 in U.S.). The corresponding Suzuki was not turbocharged; instead, it used a 1.3 L 4-cylinder engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts