SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the body kit being sold at clearance price at saabcatalog.com, I have some questions I hope someone knows the answer to:

I know they are to be painted body color (probably very expensive), but what color are they originally? I'm interested in buying a kit for an '01 5-door in Steel Gray. I'm wondering if I can get away with not painting them (like the old SPGs had a contrasting color from the body).

They "recommend" dealer installation. Is it difficult to do it myself?

My wife has a base model (Linear?). Will this kit make the body look like the SE for that year or will it look like an Aero?

TIA.

·
Registered
642 Posts
im pretty sure they are just black or white primer, would probably look horrible if you didn't paint. You may want to check around some junyards first if you don;t want to pay to have em painted. Although I haven't found many in my color Frost Grey but your grey may be easier to find

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
They come as a dull black color. Since I have a black car, most of the pics don't show the contours of the kit too well. But its two side skirts that replace what's there now, and a front and rear bumper skin. This skin convers from the bottom up to the rub strip on the front and rear bumpers. Here's a shot to give you some idea:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Its really not that hard to do it yourself, if you end up buying it I could definatly give you some tips. Its nice to have two people do it though, but otherwise its pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
CleveSaab said:
EVERYTHING is "dealer install recommended". ;)
Its funny how even bulbs are. As far as the kit me and Tboy are currently working on puting this kit onto ng900s be ourselves. Im sure that we could help you too if need be.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Marks900SE said:
Its funny how even bulbs are. As far as the kit me and Tboy are currently working on puting this kit onto ng900s be ourselves. Im sure that we could help you too if need be.
Yep, its starting to come along too! This thread reminds me I need to get off my butt and go do some more work. Here is the latest pic of my '94

Tboy

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Tboy said:
Yep, its starting to come along too! This thread reminds me I need to get off my butt and go do some more work. Here is the latest pic of my '94
Tboy
Yeah thats so true, mine will be happening in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Total cost of upgrade?

I appreciate so many of you willing to help out with this.

I'm most concerned about the total price. Since they have to be painted body color, that means I need to take them down to a paint shop to have them match the body color and paint the panels.

So even if I install the parts myself, I still need to buy them and have them painted.

Any idea on how much (approx.) a paint shop would charge to paint them?

The price has dropped from the original $800 something to $300 something now so the cost of the parts is more reasonable and in a range where I'd consider them. I bought the car CPO, so at the $800 something range plus painting I might as well have upgraded to the SE!

Are these the panels that come standard on the SE, the ones for the Aero, or something completely different?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
These are different peices from any other producation saab. For me to get it painted, it was like $250 and its really holding up well, so it was a quality job. Because the panels are off the car and in raw material there is minimal prep work involved. You should easily get the panels and have them painted for under $800.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts