SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Stim-u-dent is a great product to remove dried up wax and polish from cracks and crevices. It is made out of soft wood. It won't scratch your paint at all.

I use #0000 steel wool to clean my glass. It removes water spots and dirt that normal glass cleaners don't. I first spray some Stoners invisible glass cleaner on the window. Then I rub the steel wool back and forth until the glass in smooth. You don't have to rub hard.

You can clean your wiper blades with household rubbing alcohol. Just put some alcohol on a cotton ball and rub the blades up and down. Let them air dry before you put them back on the glass.

·
Super Moderator
19,049 Posts
CLR will also help remove water spots on your windows if all else fails.

·
Registered
67 Posts
window

Wheel polish paste works wonders on tough to clean windows. Vinegar is a natural acid that will disolve any deposits that cause spots. I would stay away from steel wool, glass is easier to scratch than you think. The wool is great for use on aluminium wheels that have baked on dirt.

If you want your glass to look like new again, you can use a cerium oxide paste with a glass polishing wheel that you attach to your power drill.

·
Registered
67 Posts
clay bars

Using a clay bar when you first get your car, or at any time after that, is the only way to a finish that is smooth as glass. Simply spray a solution of car wash soap and water onto the paint and drag (without too much pressure) the clay bar accross the paint. Everything will stick to the bar and be removed. The bar glides very easily because of the soapy water you spray on. Don't waste your money on special clay bar lubricants, the soap mixture works just as well.

Fold the bar over to get a clean surface. Spray the bar with the lubricant before storing in plastic bag or original container to keep it from drying.

You must wax the car afterwards as the bar removes everything. Polishing before waxing will hide small scratches and swirl marks. Polishing by hand will never match a high-speed buffing machine, but it will still give you a better shine than wax alone. Experienced professionals should be the only ones allowed to use high-speed buffers on your paint.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You can find #0000 steel wool any any autoparts store and detailer shop. It is made for the auto industry also. I wouldn't take the brillo pad from under my kitchen sink and use it on my car. :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clean your windows with RainX, this trick is used by a ton of people with show cars, gives a nice polished finish and crystal clear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i used a product called 'honda brite'. it's made by the makers of s100. it's a great cleaning detergent for heavy dirt and mild grease.

i used it on my motorcycle to clean the wheels, body panels and motor. you just apray it on, wait a second, use your finger for light grime or an old toothbrush for tougher areas, and then rinse off with water.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Thanks to WASAAB...

CALIFORNIA GOLD® CLAY BAR PAINT SAVING SYSTEM
http://www.mothers.com/products/

You've heard about clay bars-professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how well it works. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to lift the particulate debris and contaminants that washing can't, our exclusive Paint Saving System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint-it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint-fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.

#07240 includes 80 gram Clay Bar, 16 oz. Showtime® Instant Detailer, 4 oz. Original Formula Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

This stuff truly works miracles. You do get a glass-smooth finish & is the best prep prior to waxing. Even your best wash will not take the crud off that this will. Just make sure the clay never touches the paint without the lubricant (it's hard to get the clay streaks off) & if you do use the lubricant (as opposed to just a car wash soap mixture which I haven't tried yet) make sure it doesn't dry out & don't use it in the sun/wind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mothers worked great

Since here in NJ we had 65 degree weather in November, I figured I'd give the old girl a treat.

I washed her with the CALIFORNIA GOLD® CAR WASH, and that alone was a treat.

Then I used the Pre Wax cleaner to strip everything off.

On to the Sealer and Glaze. Now the Cleaner and Sealer/Glaze were put on with a terrycloth, and wiped off with a lint free linen polishing cloth. Appling them was the hard part. Polishing/removal was easy.

Then Pure Carnauba Wax to top it off. I did two coats. I would have done three, but it was getting dark.

I also picked up tire gel, I forget the brand. Worked nice.

Also had Mothers Back-to-Black plastic polish. I did two applications and it made a nice difference to the bottom trim, and the rubber around the windows. I will have to do it a few more times to get that new look back though. Stubborn water marks.

For the inside, I keep a Swifter cloth in the car to pick up those annoying dust particles on the dash and controls.

I bought a clay bar from mothers too. But there wasn’t time to do that too. I will probably have to wait till spring for that. Unless we get some more warm weather.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Guys, i have a problem:

My car is black and it has swirl marks all over the place, i dont know where they came from, they look like small swirly scratches. Would anyone be able to give me a step by step procedure of what to do, and what stuff to buy because i do not know ANYTHING about this waxing whatever stuff. Thank you !!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
SS said:
Guys, i have a problem:

My car is black and it has swirl marks all over the place, i dont know where they came from, they look like small swirly scratches. Would anyone be able to give me a step by step procedure of what to do, and what stuff to buy because i do not know ANYTHING about this waxing whatever stuff. Thank you !!!
I'll start things off. Check out this article for some tips. This is one of several how-to articles found at the Car Care Online web site. They also sell most if not all of the items in their articles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
SS said:
Guys, i have a problem:

When I used the sealer/glaze step above, the few little swirls I have went away. It even took out a number of scratches. Now they are still there, but if you don't know where to look, you won't see them. Other products will do the same thing as Mothers. It is just what I used. As long as they are a multi step process with cleaning and polishing, you should be fine. Well, unless the swirls are REALLY bad.

-Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please provide tips on washing techiques during cold/freezing temps.

I'm thinking of going to a self serve washing center and ONLY using the wand with soap to get most of the dirt off. Then getting home and using a detailer spray shine to finish the car in the garage. Anyone successfully try this with a dark color car. Previous experience was with silver car.

Also, how do you remove bird droppings after washing the car earlier in the day? Detail spray or rewash? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts