·
Registered
867 Posts
Product: Mother's Back to Black
Price/where to buy: any auto parts store
Pros: Beautiful shine, long lasting, gets rid of greying
Cons: None
Would you recommend it? yes

Used it on the back plastic trim and various plastic trim around the car. Wow, what a difference! Armor All...no thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wheel Paint

Product: Dupli-Color Hyper Silver Wheel coating
Price/where to buy: O’Reilly’s Auto parts store $15.00 I think…can’t remember.
Pros: Came in a kit:1can silver/1 can clear coat easy to use, won’t Nick, Chip, or Fade
Cons: A bit on the blue/gray side
Would you recommend it? Yes, if your rims were as chewed up as mine. However you will need to do all 4 rims to match

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Product: Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Paste Wax
Description: Carnauba paste wax. I used it right after claying my car and the car looks amazing! Of course just about any wax should make a car look good. This wax was easier to use than the turtle wax I last used, but it wasn't carnauba and was kinda old.
Price/where to buy: $14.99 / Your local auto parts store.
Pros: Easy to apply and remove without an orbital buffer. Wipes off of plastic trim with relative ease. Nice shine.
Cons: None that I can think of.
Would you recommend it? Definitely, this is now my wax of choice!

·
Super Moderator
19,060 Posts
Product: Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
Description: Use for polishing plastic headlight lenses such as on the 9-3SS
Price/where to buy: $7.00 Amazon

Pros: works great at removing fine scratches on headlights without using the heavy-duty sanding kits
Cons: none
Would you recommend it? Yes
Good call. After I renewed my headlights with a 3M kit they would start to yellow in a couple of months. Throw some of this on the 3M kit's buffing pad and spin it on the headlight with the drill. Takes the yellow right off.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Product: Purple Power Degreaser by Aiken Chemical Company
Description: Concentrated all purpose cleaner that can be used at various dilution ratios depending on the task.
Price/where to buy:
Cost is only $12 for 2.5 gallons, which means a quart of cleaning solution mixed 1:3 is only 30¢! Available at Walmart, Amazon, and many national auto parts chains.
Pros: Mixed with three parts water, it makes a great cleaner for rims, tires, wheel wells, engine bays, etc. Professional detailers even use it on lower body panels to help remove tar and dried bugs. A small Ace Hardware pump sprayer (link) is a handy way to dispense it. It's biodegradable and phosphate-free. The EPA allows its use on ships in "sensitive" waterways (like Prince William Sound in Alaska) because it is not harmful to the environment if it gets in the water. I stopped buying aerosol engine degreasers and specialized wheel/tire cleaners after I began using Purple Power. It's also useful for other tasks like cleaning garage floors and garbage cans.
Cons: Removes wax from painted surfaces. Must be rinsed after using. Does not remove "sintered" brake dust from neglected wheels like the acidic Meguiar's Wheel Brightener or the über-expensive Sonax stuff that changes color.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Product: Meguiars A3714 Compound Water Spot Remover
Description: Removes water spots/marks without damaging your clear coat
Price/where to buy: $8-11 / Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Walmart, Amazon, etc.
Pros: Works on both paint and glass
Would you recommend it? Yes. Worked great on removing hard water spots from my windows. Works best on glass with a soft polishing pad. Wipes off clean.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Product: Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate
Description: Concentrated waterless or rinseless wash
Price/where to buy:
$20.99 for 16oz concentrate, available at Autogeek.net, Autopia-carcare.com, and Amazon.com
Pros: Does double duty as a spray-n-wash/quick detailer/clay lube in a spray bottle or mixed with water in a bucket for a rinseless wash. I tried it as a rinseless wash, adding 1/3oz to a gallon of water and using it with microfiber towels. Very effective and quick!
Cons: When used to clean wheels your microfiber towels get filthy black, although they clean up pretty well in the washing machine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sort of an informal product review real quick because I'm sure that it's been talked about before, but I gave 3M's Headlight Restoration Kit a shot, thinking that it was relatively inexpensive and if it didn't work, well, no big loss.

And I fully expected it not to work, as my headlight is actually cracked and so I assumed there was some grime on the inside which no headlight restoration kit would be able to fix, but it uh... it worked, really, really well.

It's not perfect like the other headlight, but if the other headlight lens is, say, a 10/10 (crystal clear, no grime or film or yellowing...), then this restored headlight is a 9/10. Very, very close.... and I think I might even be able to get it back to perfect with a second treatment. I'm entirely satisfied with it though, and 13 bucks? Can't beat it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Product: Maguire's Headlight Restoration Kit
Description: Includes 2 sandpaper pads, a velcro handle for the pads, a wool buffer drill attachment, headlight polish, headlight clear-coat, and a microfiber towel.
Price/where to buy: $25, pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Meijer.
Pros: Really lets you dig deep into the grime on your headlights, the added cost is worth it in my opinion. From other reviews online it seems like it lasts a while, but I just applied it today, so I can't say for sure. Lots of reviewers say it lasts much longer than the Turtle Wax variant, hands-down. My dad has the Turtle Wax stuff and he says it doesn't last very long at all.
Cons: My arm is really tired :)
Would you recommend it? Yes! I've included pics below. I don't know if you can see, but my 11-year-old headlights were covered with a yellow grime and some ground-in spots before i started.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Product: Meguiar's G15812 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
Description: Turns sun-faded trim from grey to black
Price/where to buy: Just about anywhere
Pros: Actually works
Cons: Hard to apply on window surround trim

Tried this product out; my 9-3's trim was almost as grey as the Titan grey paint which, while okay, was made worse but the spotted look. This made the trim look like new. You can see the comparison in the attached photo; the wiper tray isn't yet done and the mirrors are done. Finished the rear diffuser and just need to finish the pieces on the front end yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sonax Wheel Cleaner

Product: Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Description: Goes on neon yellow and turns red once done. It works great at removing road grime and brake dust. It will remove what you can't get off with regular soap. I used it when I bought a used set of rims that were very dirty and on my last set of rims before removing them. It made a noticeable difference on both of them and I had washed both before hand.
Price/where to buy: Amazon $18.11
Pros: Removes years of brake dust buildup and grime. No scrubbing required (supposedly, I still scrubbed mine for best results)
Cons: None so far

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

Product: Dupli-Color's Tire Shine Coating
Description: A non-silicone wheel shine coating
Price/where to buy: $8.99 @ Autozone, O'Reily's, etc.
Pros: Lasts a very long time. 8 weeks or so. Not silicone based. Meaning there is no run, no sling, no greasiness.
Cons: Overspray but...I have this great method. :)
Would you recommend it? I absolutely would. At first I kept walking by this product as it has these terrible warnings about overspray getting on wheels or body. 2 pieces of cardboard provides a simple solution so you don't need to worry about this. I cut out one piece that I drape over the top of the tires and a second piece, a circle the diameter of my wheel that I hold in place while I apply the product. All wheels are done in minutes without worry of overspray. The products cures in moments to a nice black with a very unique, adult, dry shine. You can touch it. You can wash it!

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts

Product: Dupli-Color's Tire Shine Coating
Description: A non-silicone wheel shine coating
Price/where to buy: $8.99 @ Autozone, O'Reily's, etc.
Pros: Lasts a very long time. 8 weeks or so. Not silicone based. Meaning there is no run, no sling, no greasiness.
Cons: Overspray but...I have this great method. :)
Would you recommend it? I absolutely would. At first I kept walking by this product as it has these terrible warnings about overspray getting on wheels or body. 2 pieces of cardboard provides a simple solution so you don't need to worry about this. I cut out one piece that I drape over the top of the tires and a second piece, a circle the diameter of my wheel that I hold in place while I apply the product. All wheels are done in minutes without worry of overspray. The products cures in moments to a nice black with a very unique, adult, dry shine. You can touch it. You can wash it!

Nice job, Jason ! Maybe I should try that some day.

I just use this ;oops: because I can do it at the curbside and takes literally 1-3 mins right after a carwash. It has just enough gloss to bring the tires alive visually but not overly glossy like used cars on a used car lot. And the shine lasts a good 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Product: Mother's Back to Black
Price/where to buy: any auto parts store
Pros: Beautiful shine, long lasting, gets rid of greying
Would you recommend it? yes

Used it on the back plastic trim and various plastic trim around the car. Wow, what a difference! Armor All...no thanks!
Don't recommend it! Put in and after 3 to 4 days it flows on the paint, very disgusting! Won't stay in the rain! Holy crap! The worst product by Mother's by far!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash

Product: Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash
Description: Car wash
Price/where to buy: All the usual suspect auto parts stores and big boxes.
Pros: Not overly sudsy. Rinses easy. Doesn't bother wax/finish. Four capfuls per gallon and the stuff lasts a long time. Just an all-around good car wash product.
Cons: I didn't buy more than two jugs when O'Reilly had it for $2.99 each. Damnit. Otherwise, no con I can find.
Would you recommend it? Absolutely and wholeheartedly.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts