SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was washing the little lady today and realised some of the wax from last time got on the trim and I must have missed a couple spots because they look like small scuff marks. Anyways I was curious what should I use to bring the black back and get rid of the white scuff marks from the wax. Some light scolding for my obvious neglect of my baby is expected :(.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mothers "Back to Black" will work wonders....until it rains. Make sure you apply it and then go over it with a clean rag after to take off any excess. There are more permanent dyes on the market tho, but you can find this one at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you want to solve the fading moulding problem on a more permanent basis - remove the strips, give them a good clean with soap and a toothbrush, then paint them gloss black and you'll have shiny mouldings for ever!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109508 starting at post #17.

The strips just pop off with some gentle persuasion using small strip of perspex with a beveled end. Start at one end of a strip and work your way along. EZ.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
kiwis shoe die works wonders...

Smooth peanut butter will also do the trick...

Talk to any MKI, MKII, MKIII VW owner and they'll tell ya.

Also if you take them off, Dupli-color has trim paint so you can respray it. ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
FireStorm said:
So I was washing the little lady today and realised some of the wax from last time got on the trim and I must have missed a couple spots because they look like small scuff marks. Anyways I was curious what should I use to bring the black back and get rid of the white scuff marks from the wax. Some light scolding for my obvious neglect of my baby is expected :(.
Have you tried hot water?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have become a big fan of Griot's Garage products. They make a product specifically for this.

Wurth makes a product called Rubber Care (spray can, not roll on) and I've used that for years with very good results (actually says on the can it lifts wax particles from rubber and plastic trim).

And the only sure fire way to fix it is not to do it, however, I challenge anyone to wax an entire car and not touch one spot of trim. Unless of course you tape off every spot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use a product that was produced in Florida called"Black Again" It was made in two varietys for exterior and interior.
Great stuff, I hope it is still being produced.

I use Zymol wax made for the Saab and it leaves no residue.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Peanut oil on a soft cloth lifts the wax right out of black plastic parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whoa!

Am I reading this right? If I get wax on the black trim it will not come off ever? That's crazy and I hope not true. I got some on the trim all around the car about two weeks ago and haven't had time to scrub it off. Please tell me it doesn't permanently discolor the moldings!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If it turns white just rub it with some penut butter dont go out and buy some fancy product. It lifts the wax, makes it look new again, and protects. Then you can also make a nice sandwich when your done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yspaik said:
Mothers "Back to Black" will work wonders....until it rains. Make sure you apply it and then go over it with a clean rag after to take off any excess. There are more permanent dyes on the market tho, but you can find this one at the local auto parts store.
+1 on that. Used it today on my trim and works great!! Just like yspaik said: let it sit and wipe off the excess.

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This may sound too simple... but it worked for me. I spent 10 minutes blasting them very carefully with my power washer..(avoid the park sensors of course) you could see all the old trim detailing products I had tried being washed off.. they are now like new!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Teck_II said:
If it turns white just rub it with some penut butter dont go out and buy some fancy product. It lifts the wax, makes it look new again, and protects. Then you can also make a nice sandwich when your done.
Don't use the peanut butter with the nuts in it:D
Unless it is for a sandwich.

·
Registered
759 Posts
monsaab said:
Don't use the peanut butter with the nuts in it:D
Unless it is for a sandwich.
LOL :lol:

SERIOUSLY...Use Peanut OIL, it's much easier than peanut butter and works just as well. I've tried both.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
uhh, forget everything else...the one you need is "Forever Black". it's a dye that won't come off. my trim pieces look just as good as it did when i applied it a year ago, and better than when i first took delivery of my car. anything you have to apply everytime you wash your car is worthless IMO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cojoroh said:
uhh, forget everything else...the one you need is "Forever Black". it's a dye that won't come off. my trim pieces look just as good as it did when i applied it a year ago, and better than when i first took delivery of my car. anything you have to apply everytime you wash your car is worthless IMO.
I bought my car in Sept 2006, and I later discovered the trim had some wax on it... I tried "Back to Black", but obviously, that comes off. So now it's mor ethan a year later, an I want to fix it... Will using peanut oil remove wax that's over a year old?

Or am I better with "Forever Black"... Will this product actually permanently stay on even after rain and car washes?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Use peanut oil first....that removes the wax from the plastic...then use forever black to make it black again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts