SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding an '08 9-3 Aero Sedan. When I got the car, it had been stripped of its front end parts. No headlamps, xenon ballasts, AFL modules, etc. I am attempting to replace the headlights with the regular/halogen type headlamps, and the installation was seamless, PnP.

My problem is that now the SID is giving the the dreaded "Cornering Headlamps Malfunction" message. I do have the AHL/AFL module that is seated in the left engine compartment right near the battery, and there are two BUS wires that come from it. I need to trick those wires somehow into telling the SID that the cornering lamps are there and functional.

Any ideas on what the I/O wires going into the AFL module want to see as far as resistance and/or voltage?

ANY help is very much appreciated!!!!

I've got an AlldataDIY.com subscription and a full set of wiring diagrams so far, so if you need further info, let me know.

By the way, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place!

·
Registered
591 Posts
And why are you not putting this back on the dealer?
The car is under warranty!

Sounds like he got the car as a theft recovery or something, and is replacing the parts that were stolen/broken/lost etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You need to find a way to reprogram the BCM with a Tech II so the car thinks it was equipped with halogens and no the bi-xenons with the cornering lamps.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
You need to find a way to reprogram the BCM with a Tech II so the car thinks it was equipped with halogens and no the bi-xenons with the cornering lamps.
Hey impreza... You have access to a Tech2 if i remember correctly right? Owning a saab stealership and all...:cheesy:

I'm still having problems with my ICM3 unit that I bought a while back. The idiots in my neck of the woods won't let me near their tech2's and so I can't get it married properly to my car. They keep BSing about not being able to communicate with the ICM but have been able to enable the Aux-In on the unit. Anyway I need some ideas on how I can finally get this thing into my car without getting the damn ECU not programmed message all the time.

Ideas?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey impreza... You have access to a Tech2 if i remember correctly right? Owning a saab stealership and all...:cheesy:

I'm still having problems with my ICM3 unit that I bought a while back. The idiots in my neck of the woods won't let me near their tech2's and so I can't get it married properly to my car. They keep BSing about not being able to communicate with the ICM but have been able to enable the Aux-In on the unit. Anyway I need some ideas on how I can finally get this thing into my car without getting the damn ECU not programmed message all the time.

Ideas?
I'm not all that firmiliar with it, I just know thats how these things work. If you were asking about something with a Porsche PIWIS tester, I could help you alot better there, Much more time I have invested in that thing.

I'd really have to play with it to figure that one out for you. It would probably be similar to my suggestion for the headlamps as well. decode the icm and recode.

I remember doing this to try and get my headlamps to disable the DRLs, decoded them and then recoded as a ROW xenon unit, it didnt work out, in fact, I was then unable to even turn the headlamps on from the switch in any position :roll:
Just ended up putting it back to the NA spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to those of you that read my OP. I am painting the car tomorrow, and then I plan on sending some voltage through the P-Bus+ and P-Bus- wires that come from the AFL module. According to the 2007 version of WIS, the P-BUS modules work by sending a total of 5V through those two wires, certain combinations (IE 3.5V through PB+ and 1.5V through PB-) that equal 5V will send different messages, so I'm hoping I can trick the AFL module some way. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

I'll let you know if I have any luck. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
whatever you try is going to be worst.
behind an option there is a control unit (AFL leveling c.u.).

go to the dealer and ask for new AFL headlamps (car options) and to delete all error codes by tech2.

there is not other way to resolve your problem.

the illumination system is controlled by BCM.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just out of curiousity did they follow these steps to try and deactivate the drls?:

"
1) Delete UEC from Tech2, disconnect from car, and reconnect. Add the UEC as a new unit in Tech2 and set POS 2 to low beam active

2) Delete REC from Tech2, disconnect from car, and reconnect. Add the REC as a new unit in Tech2 and set lights to POS 2 also

3) Set fog lights from US/Canada to ROW (rest of world)

After procedure:

POS 0 - no lights at all front or rear
POS 1 - parking lights (including front halo) w/option of front/rear fog
POS 2 - all parking lights (including front halo), low beams, and option for front/rear fog"

If this doesn't work please let me know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you installed everything right it may just need a simple clearing of error codes (via the Tech II). That was the issue with mine. It had a host of lamp and headlight codes when they plugged it up. Cleared the codes, rechecked for any more codes, pulled the Tech II, voila!, HIDs worked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts