SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Im just curious how well Saab holds their value compared to BMW or Audi. I have an '04 Aero Vert, that i will be paying on for the next 5 years still, and I am trying to figure out what its value will be once it is paid off, or If i am better off not holding onto it for the whole 6 years. I have done some research on saab's past values, but i don't think it will be as accurate as the models '03 and later, seeing how saab took such a huge turn. What do you all think?

·
Banned
975 Posts
Why would you want to rid of your saab you sick f***?!?

Unless youre ganna buy another saab :cheesy: and if thats the case then they use to have the saab loyalty program etc...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Saabs don't hold value as well as BMW or Audi. Mainly, because they're not as widely know (which is part of the appeal). You can check Edmunds used car values and KBB for the current value. Edmunds will give the lower (and probably more realistic) current value. Edmunds also rates depreciation among their reviewed vehicles.

·
Registered
601 Posts
True Saab doesn't hold their value very well but the vert's usually do. I still see older verts for a lot more than their counterparts.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can't speak for BMW but Audi's don't hold their value that well either. It all depends on the car and the condition it is in. My 2000 Audi A4 that I sold last month had 63k miiles on it but was in immaculate condition and I had spent thousands of dollars to have all the proper maint. done on the car. I purchased the car used in 2003 for $20k and sold it 23 months and 19k miles later for $13,500- the car also included about $3k in aftermarket goodies (rim/tires, rs4 bits, as well as oem parts, etc) others have seen a4's similar to my old one but without the written history of service go for $10k or less and some dealers ask $17-18k for them. so honestly the resale on audi's in my opinion is nothing to be proud of.

As far as saab, a good friend of mine picked up a 2000 9-5 SE w/ aero bits and 17" wheels with a 6 month warranty for $7k (purchased it a little over a year ago). now thats horrible depreciation but that is how the market treated that particular car- and he purchased it at auction with no records.

With the current GM Employee pricing incentive going on the used market is taking a hit for sure. People are buying cars with sticker prices of $36-38k for sometimes as low as $29k brand new.

from a finance point of view I would say don't be concerned too much with the resale of your vehicle, as everyone knows cars are depreciating assets and unless it is a very rare/exotic or very old vintage vehicle the car will not appreciate. While the depreciation rates are lower for some cars than others I find it is more important to worry about whether or not you are upside down on your payments. As long as the principal owed on the car is lower than what you can sell it for then you are fine. when I finance my cars I never expect to be able to sell them and cash out a significant amount of money, generally I find playing it safe is that the trade in value stays around your principal owed and in a worst case situation where the car must be sold you will be without a car but with no additional out of pocket expenses. and generally speaking when you owe right around the trade in value- if you sell the car private party you can usually sell it for $3-4k higher (I did w/ the audi) and use the additional funds towards the down payment on your next financing endeavor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lots of good info there, thanks! and BTW, I am NOT looking to get rid of my car, i wa just wondering.............

.........plus the new audi tt i hear is coming out is pretty damn sexy. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts