SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to lubricate anything before I reattach the pipe to the turbo with the metal clamp? Can I reuse the copper washer that attaches to the banjo bolt at the top of the pipe?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Slight risk of the o-ring at the turbo un-seating as you secure it. I suppose this could be detected by listening for suction at the joint, or using a spray of soapy water.

Secure the o-ring with Vaseline or similar.

The joint to the turbo and the v-clamp can be assembled from above but easier if you have an accomplice looking at it from below.

Doug

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
I agree with Doug. Saab recommends lubricating pretty much every o-ring on the car with Vaseline. I've found that it's much easier to get the clamp in place when working from below.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
but easier if you have an accomplice looking at it from below.

Doug
Doug, not poking fun at you but myself. Whenever I see the word accomplice I think of my best friend of 50 years. We met at age 3 and 4 (me). When we were much younger in the neighborhood that word was applied interchangeably to one or the other.

Just youthful indiscretions, nothing serious you know?.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Doug, not poking fun at you but myself. Whenever I see the word accomplice I think of my best friend of 50 years. We met at age 3 and 4 (me). When we were much younger in the neighborhood that word was applied interchangeably to one or the other.

Just youthful indiscretions, nothing serious you know?.
Aha! I just looked it up and found the word has criminal connotations! Every day's a school-day.....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Aha! I just looked it up and found the word has criminal connotations! Every day's a school-day.....
Doug, that's the best post ever! I laughed for 5 minutes, thank you. You have brightened my day considerably!

And from now on for me it's not that you learn something new everyday but "Every day's a school-day"

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Good to know!

Anyway, sort of back to the subject, I was fiddling around replacing some bolts etc. just now and found the screw on the metal clamp needed at least a turn and a half to tighten it. Its well over a year since I last touched it. I wonder whether its loosening for some reason, or whether the angled ends of the clamp, which the screw pulls together, have flexed.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The cobra pipe? Every time I have installed one it was a pain and still seemed a little bit loose at the connection. But never leaked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts