SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a few of you guys remove your manifold heat shields & that plastic bit around the oil cap does that achieve anything like better cooling?

Cheers M.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I think about the only cars you'll see without the manifold heat shield are '97 and earlier models that didn't come with them from the factory. Some of us have added them, because it seems to keep temperatures down a little bit, and it looks a whole lot better. Removing the engine cover shouldn't buy you anything, but if you modify the intake pipe at all, it probably won't fit anymore.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You want to keep the heat shield. Helps keep stuff from melting. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
The heat shield is shielding heat from the cooling fan that sits in front of the radiator. Melting the cooling fan would be bad for your engine. Don't remove the heat shield just for fun.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
The top of the heat shield clips onto two of the manifold studs, and that's really enough to keep it on there, but there's a protrusion on the manifold that should be drilled and tapped for a bolt or stud to really hold it on securely. Since it's cast iron, it's easy to drill. I used an 8mm stud since that's what Saab used on the 9-3, and dressed it up with a stainless steel acorn nut.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Time for me to put my heat shield back on. I took it off when I went Stage 3 and it has been cold since but warmer temps are coming. I never thought it would melt stuff and I don't want to find out:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a 97 900se with no shield and my 98 900se also has no heat shield.
never melted anything but there's always a first time!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
it wont melt anything, but it will stress the fan motor and everything else near by with extra heat

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think you guys are right. I have never personally seen it melt anything although overall it seems like a really bad idea to get rid of it for no reason.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You guys can be creative with the heat shield too. Go to your favorite auto shop and pick out some engine enamel and paint it. You can even put a stencil over it to put a design on top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts