SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The super-aero wheels on my 9k are showing quite a bit of 'decay' of the outer surface (looks like some sort of clear coating) around the outer part of each wheel, particularly the two on the south side of the car (left side as it's been parked for the last 12 months or so). I think it's caused by something like slugs, or similar, but not really sure.

In any case, I wondered if anyone's got some good ideas on how to clean that up and restore the proper wheel finish as much as possible with the tyres still mounted on the wheels?

I didn't get any pics but next time I'm at the car I will.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I think you have no alternative but a wheel refinisher. Any holes in the clear coat allow corrosion of the underlying aluminum. Wheel paint is much more durable than clear coat.

The result is white powdery marks wherever the paint or clearcoat has broken down. Aluminum self protects when it corrodes, it just looks ugly. You have to remove all the white powdery corrosion before recoating with paint or clearcoat. I doubt it can be done with the tires still mounted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is possible to repaint the wheels with the rubber still on, it does get a bit fiddly with both keying the original paint and masking up. It does require a lot of patience and it'll always be a compromise that won't last as long as a proper refinish (usually around £50GBP per rim).

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Paint is one thing. Clear coat is another story. Wheel paint hides a lot of ugly. Clear coat emphasizes and reveals all the ugly.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint is one thing. Clear coat is another story. Wheel paint hides a lot of ugly. Clear coat emphasizes and reveals all the ugly.
Aint that the truth! The wheels are looking a bit ick at the moment but I haven't cleaned them and might have a go with some wheel cleaner first, then decide where to go with them.

Craig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts