SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this out on the way to church this morning, it worked the other day, but today i hit the button for the rear window defroster, the light in the dash came on, but as soon as i took my hand off the button, the light in the dash went off too! :eek: whats happened? where should i check first? i'm ready to take anything apart now, i just got my birthday present :cheesy:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Mine does that sometimes, I just jab at it a few times, it stays on eventually.

Not sure what the problem is...

Nice set of sockets by the way.

Edit - You could also grab a relay and maybe a switch from the junk yard if they're priced reasonably... there is a time-delay in the relay and I could see it getting dicey after a while.

Here's a side-topic on this issue... is there any reason I can't use my multimeter to find breaks in the heating grid, then bridge them with a little solder? Would this be risky to do next to the glass (in terms of possible breakage)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
I think it's the switch or relay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i hit the switch about 50 times, so i don't think it's that... so it's probably the relay? hmmm i bet my mechanic has one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok :) i'll just get both from my mechanic on saturday, that way i know i'll fix it the first time :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Get 'em both, but try one then the other just for kicks so you know which fixes it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
jglavin said:
Here's a side-topic on this issue... is there any reason I can't use my multimeter to find breaks in the heating grid, then bridge them with a little solder? Would this be risky to do next to the glass (in terms of possible breakage)?
I wouldn't risk breaking the glass - they sell kits with "paint on" conductor - work fairly well (until you wash the inside of your rear window for the 15-20th time, after which you generally have to do them again) -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
I wouldn't risk breaking the glass - they sell kits with "paint on" conductor - work fairly well (until you wash the inside of your rear window for the 15-20th time, after which you generally have to do them again) -
Thanks Steve, I'll go that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
It's the relay.
A bad switch wouldn't light the light, a bad window would not affect the light.
Surely a bad switch could do exactly what Mike's reporting - work until you let go, at which point it fails to "latch" and pings back out again...?

I dunno if your wiring differs from ours, but my switch definitely stays in whilst it's on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TooMany2cvs said:
Surely a bad switch could do exactly what Mike's reporting - work until you let go, at which point it fails to "latch" and pings back out again...?

I dunno if your wiring differs from ours, but my switch definitely stays in whilst it's on.
really? my switch comes back out every time, always has, but it keeps the defroster on for like... i think ten minutes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
really? my switch comes back out every time, always has, but it keeps the defroster on for like... i think ten minutes?
Looks like the wiring's different, then...
<makes mental note if ever need to consult that bit of Bentley>

Or I'm having a brain fart since turning it on this morning...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
As I understand it, the US versions use the switch to engage a self-timed latching relay while the european versions use a self latching switch. The US version never stays in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
jglavin said:
Get 'em both, but try one then the other just for kicks so you know which fixes it :D
Yup. Mine stopped working, figured it was the switch. Replaced, still trouble. Popped in a good relay and works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
It's the relay.
A bad switch wouldn't light the light, a bad window would not affect the light.
It did with mine...light came on when depressed but as soon as I released it, light out, defroster off. Changed switch, presto!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Wow... so many solutions to such a simple problem...

Only on a 900... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
cdaly said:
As I understand it, the US versions use the switch to engage a self-timed latching relay while the european versions use a self latching switch. The US version never stays in.
Not sure if that is the case.

Mine's UK-specced, and the switch doesn't stay in. Mine's also a vert, which I believe has a sensor to switch off the defrost if the roof is lowered.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
Hmm. Mine latches and, on the 'vert, there's a mercury switch attached to the top to switch off the glass with the top down. Dunno if it acts on the relay or directly on the main current to the glass. I put heated mirror glasses from a 9000 into the 'vert. Very useful on frosty mornings. In any case, my top is always down...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem - sooooo - where's this relay thingy, and how easily is it replaced? (Pics?)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top