SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes.

Am about to receive my Stage 3 ECU in the post this week.

I currently use 5w30 oil (Castrol GTX) religiously. Do I / should I change my oil type or weight?

I live in the UK, so wet, rainy weather is the norm. I also like to push the car slightly... ;)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
ive never run anything but 10w30 in my saabs.

viggen is stock and gets royal purple every 3k miles.

my 310k mile aero gets castrol (cant remember if its syntec or gtx at the moment) and has never gotten anything but. so i guess it works :lol:

in my opinion i would bump up to a 10w30 and the castrol should be fine.

·
Banned
736 Posts
i have a 9-3 also but far from stock. i run 15-50(lucas racing) in the summer or 50w(m1), and for the winter i use 40w (m1).

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
StormCrow said:
Ok, here goes.

Am about to receive my Stage 3 ECU in the post this week.

I currently use 5w30 oil (Castrol GTX) religiously. Do I / should I change my oil type or weight?

I live in the UK, so wet, rainy weather is the norm. I also like to push the car slightly... ;)
I also ran castrol gtx in my saabs for years until I put an oil pressure gage on my ng900. What I found was that castrol 10w30 did not hold or maintain oil pressure very well at all! It was actually the worst one I tested! After driving it for 20 minutes it would idle at 12-15psi of oil pressure and run at 22-25psi. I then tried valvoline, which did much better and held 18-22psi at idle and 25-35psi at cruise. Royal Purple synthetic held 18-20psi and 25-35psi at cruise. Amsoil did very well at 22-25psi at idle and 28-38psi at cruise. Even Pensoil held better oil pressure than Castrol at 18psi at idle and 25-28psi at cruise.

I now run valvoline for break-in and RP or Amsoil for long term use and I still run the 10w30 for winter and 10w40 in the summer. The 15w40 oils I tested showed too much oil pressure on start-up, above 75psi and I thought that was a little much.

That is my 2 cents.

John

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Isn't GTX only semi synthetic? - I would definatley move to a fully synthetic for a start. There seems to be too much of a lottery with 30 weight oils - some holding acceptable oil pressure and some not. You simply can't go wrong with a fully synthetic 5w-40 or 0w-40 fully synthetic IMO.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks guys.

What would you recommend as per manufacturers? As I'm in the UK I'm sorta limited and so can't get many of the oils mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
First there is an oil STICKY at the top of the page in the 9-3 Section, talks more than enough about different types and oil and such. It was set up by BKRELL lots of good info from BK.

Wouldnt use anything but Syn in a turbo car. Wouldnt touch dino with a 20ft pole.. Also, would not go with anything lower than a 40wt. 5w40, 0w40. The only 30 wts I would recomend, are German Castrol 0w30 (almost a 40wt).

Since you're going to a stage 3 ECU. Look at

M1 0w40,
Motul 5w40
Elf 5w40
Lubromoly 5w40
GC 0w30

Motul, Elf lubromoly, and GC are all good for long oil change intervals. They are on the pricier side, but with stage 3 I would want the best protection I could get.

I will have an Oil analysis on Elf 5w40 in the next month or so.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
i personally hate m1 oils, i have seen multiple cars with engine failures due to its breakdown, including one built 2.5l viggen spinning a bearing and having the oil m1 come out like water.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I second that on mobile 1, I heard many of the failure stories too and I tested it on my own and it came out the consistancy of water. It was by far the thinnest oil I have used in my Saab. This means lower oil pressure after some heat has been put into the motor.

The good side would be it would lubricate the top end of the motor faster when it is very cold outside and that is when most engine wear occurs. The down-side was it did not hold very good pressure was hot.

It just did not hold up well on the heat side of the equation. Once the car was hot and beat on a little bit, it turned way too thin in my opinion...

John

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Mobil has changed the formula of it's M1 - it used to go thin after a few 100 miles when I first started using it in Saab's but the last time I treid some it stayed good. It is damn expensive though and as synth is no excuse for extended oil changes it makes sense to use something cheaper. I use Halfords 5w-40 fully synthetic and change at 3-4k miles. A while back they had a 2 for 1 offer so I bought a stock to last me for a while. Try a motorfactors and check trade prices for a comma or valvoline synth. I've used Castrol RS as well but it's M1 price unless it's on special offer.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I used M1 10w40 last change, I am about to change again I'm not sure what I will use. Do they make rotella in a synth? Diesel oil seems to me like a good idea, lots of detergents in there.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You guys have any UOA's ( Used Oil Analysis) on the m1 0w40 to back up these statements ?. Not to say Iam advocating M1, I personally am not a fan, but can you show me some lab results to show its not holding up well in our engines ?

Edit : Just found this on BITOG, looks like it doesnt hold up well for race type settings , and most of the turbo guys wouldnt touch this stuff. It has lots of VII's and shears down terribly. For easy going, long distance driving, it appears its not bad. For the price, there are much better oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1015572#Post1015572

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
First there is an oil STICKY at the top of the page in the 9-3 Section, talks more than enough about different types and oil and such. It was set up by BKRELL lots of good info from BK.

Wouldnt use anything but Syn in a turbo car. Wouldnt touch dino with a 20ft pole.. Also, would not go with anything lower than a 40wt. 5w40, 0w40. The only 30 wts I would recomend, are German Castrol 0w30 (almost a 40wt).

Since you're going to a stage 3 ECU. Look at

Dont use M1 0w40 ( I should not have put it here)

Try these
Motul 5w40
Elf 5w40
Lubromoly 5w40
GC 0w30

Motul, Elf lubromoly, and GC are all good for long oil change intervals. They are on the pricier side, but with stage 3 I would want the best protection I could get.

I will have an Oil analysis on Elf 5w40 in the next month or so.
Edit Dont use M1 0w40 ( I should not have put it here) All others are proven great oils .

I would still like to see some UOA's though to back it up. Gone are the days that one can say "this is a great oil" Lab results with a breakdown of the oils chemistry after xxx miles it what proves a oils worth.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Corn Cob said:
I used M1 10w40 last change, I am about to change again I'm not sure what I will use. Do they make rotella in a synth? Diesel oil seems to me like a good idea, lots of detergents in there.
Yes Rotella makes a syn, very nice oil. Although it doesnt seem to be an issue (wasnt when I use Esso Xd3), diesels extra detergents can hurt our petrol cat's. Just be mindful of that.

I used XD3 for 2 years and have had zero issues with emmisions. I liked the idea of extra cleaning agents. Many Great UOA's done with Rotella syn's. and its cheap.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:cry:

All these talks of oils that simply aren't available over in the UK - can any UK members lend a bit of assistance?

·
Registered
933 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
Yes Rotella makes a syn, very nice oil. Although it doesnt seem to be an issue (wasnt when I use Esso Xd3), diesels extra detergents can hurt our petrol cat's. Just be mindful of that.

I used XD3 for 2 years and have had zero issues with emmisions. I liked the idea of extra cleaning agents. Many Great UOA's done with Rotella syn's. and its cheap.
My car doesn't burn oil so no worries there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.