SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonneau Cover/Decklid panel doesn't close fully

About two months ago I noticed that the rear decklid is not seating fully when the top is put down.

When the decklid goes to latch, essentially the last step, there is a "pop" and it fails to sit flush. The sensors do not indicate that the top is not fully seated and if I raise it partially then press down on the button it will close fully and sit flush.

What appears to be happening is that the soft top is getting 'squished' enough and as the decklid comes down and tries to latch, it can't. But since it's pushed the soft top down further in trying to latch, it's able to squish it and latch properly on the second try.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this? I can't provide a video if need-be.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine will do this too at times. And like you describe, if I raise the cover a bit and relower it, it then catches and locks down. As such, I've never bothered to chase down the problem.

I can say that should I interrupt the lowering process, it's much more likely to happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are u talking abouut the tonneau cover? If yes. Is the front part (toward the windshield), or the back part (toward the trunk) not fuully closing down?
Yes, the tonneau cover. It would be the part that butts up against the trunk. For example, when this happens, you can't open the trunk because it hits the cover.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3 CV
12 Posts
I realize that this is a very old post but my new-to-me '06 does the same thing: when putting the top down, the tonneau cover cover doesn't fully close every time. Anybody every experience this or know of a fix?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '08 does this sometimes as well. If I start to raise it then lower it again, it will normally close completely. Are the tonneau cover hinges difficult to replace or require special tools?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with a 2008 Aero. I'll look at the hinges. It has just 56,000 miles but the top has been used quite a bit, we are the original owners.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3 CV
12 Posts
Update: Problem solved. While this may sound complicated, it is really very simple. I tried to give a thorough description. Hope this helps someone else.

The diagnosis: After some troubleshooting it turns out that my top material wasn't folding as designed when being lowered. This resulted in the folded top being slightly "thicker" or "taller" once all the way in the storage area. When the decklid came down it was bumping the unusually thick folded top.
In turned out that one of the folds was turning inward on both sides instead of folding flat. I suppose the cloth and gasket had developed a "memory" over time to fold this way.
The solution: I stopped the retraction process midway and corrected the mis-fold on each side. I then completed the retraction and the decklid sealed perfectly everytime. After having the top down and properly folded on a few warm, sunny days it seems that it has now developed a memory for the proper fold. The decklid closes as intended without issue. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts