SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You aren't a member of Autonews?
Confirmed by Auto News

For the non-Members...
(Can't believe you rely on Saabnet for news...hehehe j/k)

Saab Cars USA gets new chief

By KC Crain
Automotive News / March 31, 2005

DETROIT -- Jay Spenchian is the new head of Saab Cars USA, replacing Debra Kelly-Ennis.

Spenchian, 46, has been the marketing director for the Cadillac CTS, XLR and SRX.

Kelly-Ennis is leaving GM to become the chief marketing officer for liquor firm Diageo North America, which owns brands such as Baileys and Dom Perignon.

The change takes effect April 1.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Hooray ! :D:D:D I guess we drove her to drinking .....

With all due respect, I never sensed DKE is a car gal. Heard her talk at SOC '04 ..... typical marketing schpiel with no substance. Don't know anything about Spenchian, but if Saab can turn around the way Cadillac has, well then all the better I say.

CleveSaab said:
You aren't a member of Autonews?
Confirmed by Auto News

For the non-Members...
(Can't believe you rely on Saabnet for news...hehehe j/k)

By KC Crain

DETROIT -- Jay Spenchian is the new head of Saab Cars USA, replacing Debra Kelly-Ennis.

Spenchian, 46, has been the marketing director for the Cadillac CTS, XLR and SRX.

Kelly-Ennis is leaving GM to become the chief marketing officer for liquor firm Diageo North America, which owns brands such as Baileys and Dom Perignon.

The change takes effect April 1.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I am an autonews suscriber.....here is the news.....also you can check the "brother" publication of autonews, autoweek.com

Spenchian replaces Kelly-Ennis

By Jason Stein

DETROIT -- The changes at General Motors keep coming.

Debra Kelly-Ennis, general manager of Saab Cars USA, has left GM and accepted a position with Diageo North America, a premium drink business.

Jay Spenchian, Cadillac's marketing director since 2004, will become general manager of Saab.

The moves are effective Friday, April 1, and come less than two weeks after job changes at Buick-Pontiac-GMC and other moves to reorganize and cancel product programs.

Spenchian, 46, takes over Saab after pushing Cadillac's CTS, STS and SRX into the premium market. Spenchian joined GM in 1998 and has held a variety of positions with Cadillac, including marketing director for the CTS, XLR and SRX, as well as brand manager of the Escalade.

"We believe (Spenchian) is the right person to lead Saab during its most aggressive vehicle development program in its history," said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president of vehicle sales service and marketing.

News of the change seemed to catch dealers off guard. Dealers were notified in a conference call Thursday morning.

"It was pretty straightforward and was termed an amicable divorce," said Christopher Cerrina, head of the International Dealer Council for Saab and president of Parkfield Motors, Inc. in Bergenfield, N.J. "I was surprised."

Kelly-Ennis joined GM in 1998 following a career in sales and management with RJR/Nabisco and various other non-automotive companies.

Diageo manages a collection of alcohol brands across spirits, wines, and beer categories. The brands include Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Smirnoff, J&B, Baileys, Cuervo, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, Beaulieu Vineyard and Sterling Vineyards wines.

greetings

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
HOORAY!!!! It's about time that SAAB got rid of GM's "Angel of Death"...the only thing that she knew to do as a general manager was shut divisions down (i.e. Oldsmobile)...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great news that she's off and quite appropriate that she's off to a liquor company. She must have been pissed when she said "They promise progressive design, driver-focused performance and 'gee whiz' functionality".Way to sell a car, Deb. Gee whiz.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
I can't wait to see how she might badge-brand Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Smirnoff, J&B, Baileys, Cuervo, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, Beaulieu Vineyard, Sterling Vineyards :roll:

Ooops I'd better pick up a few cases in case they all start to taste the same

A

·
0 Posts
This could seem like an attempt for GM to make Saab more like Cadillac. They really need someone who knows about selling Saabs, not other GM cars. That's why Kelly-Ennis didn't work. She could only sell Nabisco snacks and Oldsmobiles.:roll:

·
Registered
815 Posts
apzer09 said:
This could seem like an attempt for GM to make Saab more like Cadillac. They really need someone who knows about selling Saabs, not other GM cars. That's why Kelly-Ennis didn't work. She could only sell Nabisco snacks and Oldsmobiles.:roll:
I Googled Jay and he seems like a pretty smooth operator. Certainly seems to be thorough in getting to know his business. DKE leaving was certainly a positive step, but I think this guy coming in might be one too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Debra Kelly can't help car companies... Oldsmobile is dead and she was sending SAAB in the same direction. This new guy helped Cadillac alot and he's a car guy so I think this is a good move.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
SaabKen said:
I can't wait to see how she might badge-brand Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Smirnoff, J&B, Baileys, Cuervo, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, Beaulieu Vineyard, Sterling Vineyards :roll:

Ooops I'd better pick up a few cases in case they all start to taste the same
Johnnie Walker will expand its product line by selling a new line of less-expensive, premium Namibian-made whiskey. The new whiskey will be given a label that looks like a normal Johnnie Walker label, but the quality of the spirit will not be quite the same. This will increase volume for Johnnie Walker and its retail network. Some will notice the Namibian-made whiskey bottle looks a lot like the original Namibian whiskey bottle, despite the new label.

Tanqueray will announce that they are ceasing gin production for the next year because "the market for gin is not large enough." Tanquery had made its name with the production of nimble gin spirits in the past. However, in quest for larger market share, Tanqueray will become "more mainstream" as it switches to vodka production for 2006. Ms. Kelly-Ennis, new product manager for the brand, was quoted as saying "Vodka is the new 'hot' spirit now. We intend to produce a spirit that is similar to the industry leaders, such as Absolut, Smirnoff, Grey Goose, but that still retains the core Tanqueray values."

Bailey's will begin to sell a new line of SUS (Sport Utility Spirit). Bailey's has traditionally stood high in the smooth, creamy spirit market. However, baby boomers and suburban dwellers have begun a massive push towards spirits with a substantially larger presence and more power. According to Ms. Kelly-Ennis "Suburbanites, especially women, like the feeling of security that comes from a spirit with increased size and power." The new Bailey's SUS will also stress the sporting aspect of the new spirit by ad placement in sporting situations, such as on the rugby pitch, on NFL sidelines, and in a promotional deal with the Turkish Wrestling Federation. While Ms. Kelly-Ennis admits that most of the targeted users of the new SUS are not participants in Rugby, American Football, or Turkish Wrestling, they do appreciate the connotations of association with such sports. In order to continue the impression of security, the new Bailey's SUS will have a substantially higher alcohol content. "Increased power is another value that our targeted consumer appreciates," adds Ms. Kelly-Ennis.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
ROTFL :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

[my guts are hurting from the laughing]

Rob in Atlanta said:
Johnnie Walker will expand its product line by selling a new line of less-expensive, premium Namibian-made whiskey. The new whiskey will be given a label that looks like a normal Johnnie Walker label, but the quality of the spirit will not be quite the same. This will increase volume for Johnnie Walker and its retail network. Some will notice the Namibian-made whiskey bottle looks a lot like the original Namibian whiskey bottle, despite the new label.

Tanqueray will announce that they are ceasing gin production for the next year because "the market for gin is not large enough." Tanquery had made its name with the production of nimble gin spirits in the past. However, in quest for larger market share, Tanqueray will become "more mainstream" as it switches to vodka production for 2006. Ms. Kelly-Ennis, new product manager for the brand, was quoted as saying "Vodka is the new 'hot' spirit now. We intend to produce a spirit that is similar to the industry leaders, such as Absolut, Smirnoff, Grey Goose, but that still retains the core Tanqueray values."

Bailey's will begin to sell a new line of SUS (Sport Utility Spirit). Bailey's has traditionally stood high in the smooth, creamy spirit market. However, baby boomers and suburban dwellers have begun a massive push towards spirits with a substantially larger presence and more power. According to Ms. Kelly-Ennis "Suburbanites, especially women, like the feeling of security that comes from a spirit with increased size and power." The new Bailey's SUS will also stress the sporting aspect of the new spirit by ad placement in sporting situations, such as on the rugby pitch, on NFL sidelines, and in a promotional deal with the Turkish Wrestling Federation. While Ms. Kelly-Ennis admits that most of the targeted users of the new SUS are not participants in Rugby, American Football, or Turkish Wrestling, they do appreciate the connotations of association with such sports. In order to continue the impression of security, the new Bailey's SUS will have a substantially higher alcohol content. "Increased power is another value that our targeted consumer appreciates," adds Ms. Kelly-Ennis.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Well, DKE was brought on to Olds specifically TO shut it down. So her arrival at Saab was never a happy day. Saab NEEDS so Cadillac influence. The CTS is now one of Consumer Reports top rated cars in terms of quality. Hey, maybe they will race 9-3's alongside CTS's!

Okay, I'm dreaming....:roll:

Sad thing is, this shows just how out of date my 2 week old issue of NINES magazine is. It had a 2 page speech by DKE about how great the future of Saab was going to be.

Maybe now it is!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sadly, Cadillac isn't doing all that hot in California....trends that start in California spread like a fever where the only prescription is MORE COWBELL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts