SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

This is my first post here... sorry it's kind of long.

Several weeks ago I purchased a 2003 Certified Pre-Owned Vector... I absolutely love it! :lol: Too bad the dealership experience has been really bad.

You know those clips that hold the front bumper to the wheel well? One of them was ripped out. The sales guy said that no, the car has not been in an accident, and that he'll take care of it.

About 2 hours after driving off I noticed an imprint of a trailer hitch on the front bumper, it was partially covered by the Certified by Saab license plate. Aha, so the car has been in the accident.

Called him the next day, he said bring it in and they'll take care.

I brought it in, they said the car would not be certified with this kind of damage. I guess they are implying I bought the car, took off the "certified by saab" plate, ran into something, put it back on (all on the same day). :roll:

I want them to replace the bumper, they want to touch-up paint it. The thing has freaking HOLES in it! :nono; So much for being Certified Pre-Owned

Please help with advice! This really sucks. I am seriously regretting trusting the sales guy, or not looking at the car more thoroughly (it was raining). I am very dissapointed w/ the dealership. Two times I went there (after purchasing) they made me wait 30-40 mins to talk to somebody. I think they were hoping I'd go away :) I faxed Sales Manager this letter a couple of hours back, haven't heard from him since. It's VOB Saab in Rockville, MD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Ferguson,

I have purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector from a VOB dealership on May 30th, 2005. I absolutely love the car; it has brought me a lot of joy. My initial experiences with the VOB Saab dealership were just as positive. Now it appears that I put too much trust into my sales representative (Paul Carter), and too much faith into the Saab Certified Pre-Owned program.

I stopped by the VOB Saab dealership a day before leaving for vacation. I was on the market to purchase a vehicle for several weeks prior to arriving there, but I was not ready to make a purchase that day. However, I ended up buying it that same day for two main reasons:

1) Vehicle was Saab Certified Pre-Owned. I did find several small problems, but Paul Carter reassured me that all of those problems would be taken care of.

2) Paul Carter informed me that the special Saab financing offer (1.9% for 48 month loans) was to expire on May 31st.

Both of these turned out be inaccurate. The special financing offer is still being offered by Saab, and now the dealership is refusing to fix a problem with the vehicle.

When inspecting the car, I found a problem with the front bumper. The clip attaching the front bumper to the wheel well was ripped out on the passenger side, as if from an impact. I asked Paul Carter whether the car has been in an accident, and he said that it has not. I could not inspect the vehicle as thoroughly as I wanted because of the weather (it was raining, and getting dark), but that did not seem necessary. Paul Carter reassured me that the dealership will take care of this and any other possible issues after I come back from vacation.

I noticed a much bigger problem with the bumper when I parked in a well-lit garage that same evening. There were clear traces of an accident on the front bumper. There was an imprint of a trailer hitch, the kind often found on back of pickup trucks. Ironically, most of this imprint was covered by a "Certified by Saab" license plate. This was troubling, as Mr. Carter personally reassured me that the car had NOT been in an accident. I made sure to inform Paul Carter of this issue in the morning. I called and said that the car had been in an accident, and that the front bumper will have to be replaced. He said that everything will be taken care off when I come back from vacation.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be just another misleading statement. Upon our meeting he said that the car would not have passed Saab certification with this kind of damage. I was taken aback by this preposterous claim. It implied that I took off the "Saab Certified" license plate on May 30th, rear-ended a pickup truck, replaced the "Saab Certified" plate, and proceeded to call VOB Saab the next morning. More over, it went against everything he said up until that point. I am not sure how to describe my feelings at the time. The situation was so absurd that I was at a loss for words.

I do not know how the vehicle passed the Saab certification process. Perhaps the VOB Saab should look into the certification process to ensure this does not happen to other customers.

My initial positive impression of VOB Saab and Mr. Carter was quickly deteriorating. He advised me to come back on Monday and talk you, which I did. However, I never got a chance to explain the situation to you in person. You consulted with Mr. Carter, who proceeded to take down my phone number in order to schedule a service appointment.

When asked about the bumper, he said that they will touch it up and possibly repaint it. I said that touch-up paint will not make holes and indents in the bumper disappear. Mr. Carter said: "Well, it is not like we are going to replace it."

I am very surprised by misleading statements and poor quality of customer service at VOB Saab. I expect to be treated with respect before AND after purchasing a vehicle. I expect information provided by sales consultants to be accurate. I expect the dealership to follow up on their promises and reassurances. And of course, I expect Saab Certified vehicles to be free of defects as obvious as damage from an accident.

Please look into this. I love my Saab, and I sincerely wish that my VOB Saab experiences were as pleasant as owning one is. I understand that Mr. Carter was just as surprised to discover the bumper damage as I was. Yet the way he and VOB Saab handled this situation is absolutely unacceptable. The vehicle I purchased was supposed to be Saab Certified Pre-Owned. I do not think this means putting a "Certified by Saab" license plate over damaged areas of the bumper.

Clearly the bumper should be replaced and the vehicle should be re-certified. It should be brought up to par with high standards VOB luxury car dealerships claim to hold.

Please call ### if you have any questions

Disapointed Customer

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Wow. Nice letter. I wouldn't have been so diplomatic--good for you:lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Call Saab North America and get them involved in the dispute.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh thanks!

I was trying to project firm resolve :cool:

Sometimes I wish I could get really angry about these things. I'm too damn calm! It's so strange... Some people would listen to raging maniacs but not the voice of reason. Oh well, there is always the Better Business Bureau ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saabseeker - thanks for your reply! I called them yesterday. They basically said that they cannot do anything for me. They said I can file a complaint with them, but that's about it. They will gladly take it and put it in a file somewhere...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
VectorDC03 said:
Saabseeker - thanks for your reply! I called them yesterday. They basically said that they cannot do anything for me. They said I can file a complaint with them, but that's about it. They will gladly take it and put it in a file somewhere...
Do you have previous owner information? Try to obtain that and get an afidavid from them that it was hit.
Also run a carfax, maybe there is a record of it...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't believe Saab won't stand behind their own CPO program! That's useless...:(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Saabseeker said:
I can't believe Saab won't stand behind their own CPO program! That's useless...:(
The problem being that the certified pre owned program doesn't cover body damage. I'm pretty sure that cosmetic damage isn't part of the certified required inspection. It's more of a mechanical & wear inspection.

That's not to say the dealer and it's weasel-y sales rep aren't off the hook. Definitely contact the better business bureau. They will help you resolve this issue. I had a similar type issue on a demo car i purchased once, and the dealer finally admitted they were responsible for the repairs. Just remeber that delears are typically worse any guy you know going after a woman... they will say just about anything to seal the deal, and rarely back it up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would try talking to the general manager, remember the sales manager only looks at numbers and doesn't care if you are happy. I would either call or stop in and ask to talk to the GM, usually they can get things done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dealing with the dealer you need a source

I only buy used cars, but I'll never buy again without running a history at Carfax.com , where with the VIN you can find out whether the car was ever in a flood or collision. Buying my previous ride I walked away from two pickup trucks that I otherwise might have purchased, because carfax alerted me to hidden damage. My current wheels, a 9-3 cv, came up clean and proved to be a sweet number.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Carfax is not bulletproof. I ran carfax reports on cars that I know were hit and police report filed and insurance paid out (my relative's car)......and a YEAR later Carfax was clean!

Also, different states report accidents differently. what is considered minor damage in one state might be considered moderate damage in the other, and so on.
Also, if it was fixed properly, it is very tough to detect..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dealers live and die by the customer sat ratings provided by customers like yourself after any warranty work. Perhaps when they call to get your opinion about how you were treated regarding your next service visit, you are having a bad day and unload your opinions about this dealer. It may not fix your bumper problem, but I for one would feel better. CPO or not, its a buyer beware kind of world, unfortunately you have to take some of the responsibility for this problem.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi Vector, Great letter and i think doing this in the diplomatic way you have adopted will get the result you want. I would hand deliver the letter to the dealer and on the top of the letter copy in your local trading standards office and your solicitors name. Then go through the letter with your dealer and advise him that this is not a problem that will go away and as yet you have not delivered the letters to the other 2 people as you want to give the dealer the chance to resolve things. If this fails advise him that you may talk to one of the motoring magazines and discuss your concerns with them. In britain we have a magazine called what car and they have a section for these sort of complaints and usually the dealers sorts out the situation with compensation once it gets to that stage. Good luck firm but fair and the pen is mightier than the sword...Keep us posted.:cheesy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts