SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello it's my first time posting here. I just bought a 2005 9-3 2.0T Arc manual last month and have decided to recently give my car an mild tune up by replacing the oil filter, air filter, and oil. I called up the only Saab dealership on the island (I live in the state of Hawaii) and they are charging me $84 for a air filter and oil filter. Does this seem fair? I checked on Parts for Saabs and their price for their OEM replacements are vastly cheaper (although I'm unsure of their shipping costs to Hawaii).

Also I was at first quoted $65 but was later called back and told that because my engine was the 2.0T version (the guy on the phone told me my car was an "Aero". I realize the engines are the same, but there is a clear difference between an Arc and an Aero...) that the oil filter is different and would bump up the price by $20. Is there really a difference between 2.0t and 2.0T oil filters?

Any advice?

I'm very familiar working on cars and an enthusiast. I've even changed a auto trans car to a manual trans and done several motor swaps/rebuilds. I'm just unfamiliar with Saab pricing and parts.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Dealership is ripping you off

Get in zone (autozone), get whatever synthetic oil deal thats going on at the time that comes with an oil filter. If your looking for performance and more turbo noises then get the K&N air filter, its worth the price tag. The filter is exactly the same between both 2.0t and 2.0T

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wow! I would tell them to **** off, and I would do it in person!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just have to chime in, stay away from the dealer unless you have warranty work or really need something done. Wrote a little review of our local dealer on insider pages.

You can get your own filters from Amazon. Oil is cheap at Costco or Napa, oreilys when on sale. Take to a local shop and pay like 20 bucks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm no stranger to cars so I thought the price he quoted was VERY odd, on top of the fact he tried to sell me a differently priced oil filter because I had the 2.0T engine, raised a lot of red flags for me.

I ended up ordering some WIX (Napa Gold) filters from Oreilly's, $30 total. Did some research and Wix didn't seem like a bad choice.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Wix is a good choice, I would prob run those if I didn't get such good deals on mobil & bosch filters

·
Registered
89 Posts
I buy my own oil and filter and have the dealer install it, he charges me 13 dollars to do the change which I am happy to pay, it saves me from laying under my car and making a mess of my garage and myself. I had it done 3 weeks ago and it cost me about 75 bucks with 7 quarts of
Mobil 1 0/40, and a 13 dollar filter. Oil was 6.47 on sale at wal-mart. I don't think he's ripping you off at 84 dollars. Yes you can do it cheaper if that's what you want to do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I buy my own oil and filter and have the dealer install it, he charges me 13 dollars to do the change which I am happy to pay, it saves me from laying under my car and making a mess of my garage and myself. I had it done 3 weeks ago and it cost me about 75 bucks with 7 quarts of
Mobil 1 0/40, and a 13 dollar filter. Oil was 6.47 on sale at wal-mart. I don't think he's ripping you off at 84 dollars. Yes you can do it cheaper if that's what you want to do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Oh they were going to charge me $84 just for the parts (oil filter and air filter) not labor or the synth oil. Here they pay the techs $125 an hour, even though it doesn't take very long to do a oil change and swap the filter, I'm pretty sure the final bill would be close to $200 (from what I've heard from some other local Saab owners here somtimes it's as high as $350) AND I'd have to schedule my life around the times they are able to service it, since I work everyday there's no way I'd be able to find a good time to do it during their open hours.

My total bill for just the parts and oil came out to $94 (my oil was unfortunately not on sale at 9.99 a qt), and I can do it on my own time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts