SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just had the Saab Dealer in Atlanta install my XM satellite, cost about 600$ with labor ouch.. However i have 2 questions

a) when i set the radio to aux to hear the xm, i can hear the engine whine thru the radio, i can only hear thru aux, not cd or radio settings. Something weird here, any suggestions? i assume i have to return but can they fix?

b) i notice when i turn the car off and start, it does not default back to aux, only CD and Radio. ex: i am listening to the CD, i turn off the car and restart CD comes back. For aux - it does not remember - goes back to radio?

any suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
zooman said:
Hello, just had the Saab Dealer in Atlanta install my XM satellite, cost about 600$ with labor ouch.. However i have 2 questions

a) when i set the radio to aux to hear the xm, i can hear the engine whine thru the radio, i can only hear thru aux, not cd or radio settings. Something weird here, any suggestions? i assume i have to return but can they fix?

b) i notice when i turn the car off and start, it does not default back to aux, only CD and Radio. ex: i am listening to the CD, i turn off the car and restart CD comes back. For aux - it does not remember - goes back to radio?

any suggestions?
a) This is unfortunately pretty typical. You're hearing alternator whine. One of two things to fix this. A better ground for the power connection for the XM or a Ground Loop Isolator inline where the XM plugs into the AUX connector. You can find ground loop isolators at Radio Shack.

b) This is the way the software works. Somewhere in Sweden there are engineers in whose brains this makes complete sense, regardless of what their customers may think.

·
Banned
209 Posts
you wouldve been better off installing it yourself and just using the built in fm modulator (depending on model, i have skyfi 2 ) wouldve saved a crap load of money and had bettr sound quality. IMHO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Viscouse said:
Welcome to Saabcentral!

So if the dealer installed XM, then am I correct in assuming you can't use the phono jack in the armrest?
I have the dealer installed XM kit. You can still unplug the jack from the armrest and plug in an iPod or other accessory that uses the same type of headset jack.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
zooman said:

any suggestions?
1) Yes a $12 filter is all you need. I had to have one installed as well. The dealer should have put that in for you especially at the price they charged.
2) And yes that is how mine defaults as well.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
ImolaDetail said:
I have the dealer installed XM kit. You can still unplug the jack from the armrest and plug in an iPod or other accessory that uses the same type of headset jack.
That's what I thought. I did it the same way. Where did they decide to run the cable? I made mine come up through the coinholder.

Original reason I asked was that I thought some dealers in California were doing things a bit differently. ie hooking up the XM directly to the back of the EHU.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Viscouse said:
Original reason I asked was that I thought some dealers in California were doing things a bit differently. ie hooking up the XM directly to the back of the EHU.
The reason for this most likely is that the install instructions actually say that if the AUX cable is already installed, remove it, put a blank cover plate over the hole in the center console, and relocate the AUX cable to a location behind the center stack.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Viscouse said:
That's what I thought. I did it the same way. Where did they decide to run the cable? I made mine come up through the coinholder.

I am not sure where they ran the cable. I am guessing they ran it up through the coinholder like yours.

When I left the dealer with the dealer installed XM unit I heard the whine. I elected to go to Radio Shack and buy the GLI but it did not get rid of 100% of the noise. I ended up taking the car back to the dealer and they put an in-line noise filter in. That did not get rid of 100% the noise either. I have learned to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You might try to make sure that the plug in the center console is tight and that the XM cable is held securely by the connector. I had a friend that just recently bought a new 9-3 SS. He had the dealer install the XM commander too. After a day, the XM quit working. The dealer traced it to a loose connector in the armrest console. The dealer used a solder gun to correct the problem. He has been trouble-free ever since. Whines and similar noises can sometimes be caused by loose connections. It would be worth a few minutes of jiggling things to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello listers,

When I had my XM Commander installed (bought separately from the XM store online-$195 about a year ago, then installed at Schumacher Saab in West Palm Beach for $150), the installer pulled the head unit out and ran the wire thru the front panel on the drivers side of the EHU. So now it plugs in the back as intended, with no alternator whine.

To operate it, I tune the FM tuner to 88.9, and then turn on the power switch on the XM Commander. It immediately takes over that signal and pipes the audio through the system as normal. I don't use the Aux controls or any other means of getting the signal.

The only thing you have to remember is that when you want to listen to AM or FM, you must turn off the XM Commander using its on-off switch. The CD player automatically overides the Radio signal, so you don't have to turn off the XM Commander (Unless you want to!)

Overall it is a cleaner installation than using the Aux input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
melias said:
Hello listers,

When I had my XM Commander installed (bought separately from the XM store online-$195 about a year ago, then installed at Schumacher Saab in West Palm Beach for $150), the installer pulled the head unit out and ran the wire thru the front panel on the drivers side of the EHU. So now it plugs in the back as intended, with no alternator whine.

To operate it, I tune the FM tuner to 88.9, and then turn on the power switch on the XM Commander. It immediately takes over that signal and pipes the audio through the system as normal. I don't use the Aux controls or any other means of getting the signal.

The only thing you have to remember is that when you want to listen to AM or FM, you must turn off the XM Commander using its on-off switch. The CD player automatically overides the Radio signal, so you don't have to turn off the XM Commander (Unless you want to!)

Did you get this installed for $150 including the dash mount that replaces the ashtray? If this does not include that piece where do you have it mounted? any pics?

·
Registered
111 Posts
melias said:
However you are sacrificing sound quality by going this route. I have an XM Commander installed in my VUE (the same unit that Saab uses), installed via Fm Mod (no Aux input), and I have heard the Saab setup using the Aux in. Quality of the stereos themselves notwithstanding, the XM is much clearer and louder by using the Aux input.
~D.J.~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts