SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there smart saabers ;)

I'm writing from US to get some clear idea of what exactly is the "deadbolt" feature. My manual doesn't mention anything like that. What does it do and can it be turned on (or something) in my car?

I have a 2000 9-5 SE V6 Wagon 97k

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I think its called the "deadlock" ;)

Press the lock button on the remote once and then about a second later press it again, you will hear a further locking mechanism come into play - the dead lock!

Now if someone smashes a window they cant simply pull up the tab on the door to unlock it ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's what I suspected. Any idea how to turn this feature on? My US spec MY2000 doesn't have it on (I can press the lock button all I want, car locks and then nothing changes).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When I lock my car this way on the second pressing of the remote,I hear the lcok actuating again and the horn also sounds with a short beep.
I assume the horn sound is to confirm the deadlock?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes the horn bit is programable via tech 2 - it always makes me smile as the car is seemingly saying:

"I'm not just locked..............I'm deadlocked!" :evil:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its the Granny State I tell ya!

IIRC deadlocking is outlawed in the US in case for example you accidentally (or maybe intentionally :eek: ) lock your granny in the car. Thats a shame cos its a good deterrent against the smash and grab brigade. They know its one of them damn pesky Saabs and is to be avoided.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you're right. One thing I hate about US is that there are so many laws designed to protect people from themselves :confused:. But then again it reminds me of the story about a lady that put her Winnebago on cruise control on interstate and went to the back to make herself a sandwich...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
walmark said:
... it reminds me of the story about a lady that put her Winnebago on cruise control on interstate and went to the back to make herself a sandwich...
... that story's done the email rounds again recently. That lady got a huge pay out for that. Crazy :roll:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
SaabScott said:
It was a feature on the NG900 .... it doesn't exist for the 9-5s in N/A. :cry:
Do we know if the mechanism for the deadlocks are visible?

Perhaps they're in place on NA cars but are just disconnected :confused:

Perhaps they could be reconnected :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts