SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Well this is my first post as a Saab owner :D.
Yesterday a really odd thing happened to me.
I started my car in the mornig just as everyday and went to work (a 10 minute drive). Everything in the car was apparently fine. After about an hour from arriving to my job I had to get some stuff from the trunc of the car, I opened it with the remote and shut it again. Then two hours later I had to open the trunc again, but this time the remote didn't work.
Obviously I changed the battery on the remote and nothing happened. I then tried to open the car using the key on the driver's door, but it didn't open.
I called a friend of mine to help me open the hood to check the battery, but the battery was ok.
A couple of things I think you should know:
1. I bought the car from a used car center and they only gave me one remote control.
2. When we opened the hood the alarm didn't activate.
3. I replaced the car battery in november.

So now I have two tons of junk parked at my office and I can't tow it because I can't open it.

Any thoughts on what may have caused this mess?

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is really surprising that you cannot open the driver's door by using the key. It should open.
How did you manage to open the hood if the door could not unlock?

Open again the hood (the way you did it before) and check the circuit breaker on the positive pole of the battery. It is the little black box with a yellow press-button on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
My thoughts are that maybe the previous owner lost his key and had a new one programmed but not laser cut, that may be the reason for the driver's door not oppening.
My friend managed to open the hood by removing the front grid and pulling on the two steel lines that hold it shut. It was a bit tricky.
We pressed the reset button on the circuit breaker but nothing happened.

Thanks again

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
My thoughts are that maybe the previous owner lost his key and had a new one programmed but not laser cut, that may be the reason for the driver's door not oppening.
My friend managed to open the hood by removing the front grid and pulling on the two steel lines that hold it shut. It was a bit tricky.
We pressed the reset button on the circuit breaker but nothing happened.

Thanks again
Hey Rodrigom5, I spent 5 weeks in the Nikko Hotel in Mexico City several years ago and want to tell you how beautiful the city was. We took cabs, walked or took the bus, but it was a very nice experience. I especially remember walking from the Nikko to an Argentinaian steak house maybe twice a week. It was great!... Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Well yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do later, but the real purpose of the thread was to see if anyone had a simmilar experience and what the cause was.
The truth is that we really don't have mechanics that specialize in such vehicles as ours, so it becomes a nightmare to deal with them since they constantly fail to lacate the source of the problem, and obviously the cost in money and time increases.
The reason for this post was to see if someone could give me a couple of concrete targets my mechanic could look into.

Thanks Ron for the comment, I'm glad tourists have a nice time here.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
just doublechecking..

so you removed the key from the fob? if you push down on the saab griffin and pull on the top half of the key, the metal key should come out which should allow you to manually unlock the car. If that key doesnt seem to work, I'm guessing the car may have been in an accident, which may have required the door to be replaced (possibly the lock as well), or the ignition control module may have been replaced without changing out your drivers door tumbler.

The fob has a safety feature, which will de-link the key from the car if you press any of the buttons three times consecutively. that would be my first guess at what happened to your key, and if it did, all you would need to do is place the de-linked key into the ignition and turn the key to the "ON" position. 10 seconds should be enough for the car to reprogram the key.

anyway, good luck. I hope its a simple fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts