SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my fuel pump just the other day. Initially the gauge worked fine afterward, but soon started getting jumpy

then it got really jumpy

now it is totally dead :x With occasional flashing orange light now too!

I checked the wire, looks fine and the contact looks fine, contact cleaner had no effect.

Something fell in the tank and killed the sender or what?

·
Registered
108 Posts
could be the float got messed up somehow, or the ground going to the
sending unit,
try the ground wire first, also can try filling the tank , sometimes that will unstick theh float if it is stuck.
Mine is flaky has been since I had the car, I replaced it with a dif one, but wasnt a new one, started working fine, then acting up again.
when I fill it, it works till about I go 50 miles then drops down to almost empty.
If the light is driving ya crazy, there is a seperate wire for that , can disconnect it till ya get the unit working again.
Hope some of that helps ya

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The bottom of the fuel sender often fall off of the top. Most likely you need a new sender. The sender and the fuel pump are not related, so changing the fuel pump probably didn't have anything to do with it unless you pulled hard on the return line which could then have bumped the sender. Usually, they just break when you hit a bump and you'll find most of it rattling around in the bottom of the tank. Be careful when pulling one from a parts car, they break easily when removing as well.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bottom of the fuel sender often fall off of the top. Most likely you need a new sender. The sender and the fuel pump are not related, so changing the fuel pump probably didn't have anything to do with it unless you pulled hard on the return line which could then have bumped the sender. Usually, they just break when you hit a bump and you'll find most of it rattling around in the bottom of the tank. Be careful when pulling one from a parts car, they break easily when removing as well.
I noticed the car was riding harshly, I checked the tire pressure and apparently I had pumped them up to the region of 80 psi :lol: I even remember the bump when it started going wonky, some stupid New York rural highway through a village with a bump and a sign "BUMP" if they had the money for the sign why not fix the damn road! Argh :lol:

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
80 psi you are lucky the tyre holds out as that's excessive pressure and they say don't overinflate normal is about 30, and I think it says do not inflate above 55 psi on most tyres, but I suppose if the unit you use is'nt set it will go to pumps max, as I remebr a person at TRIUMPH who blew the tyres up on the rims left his finger on the pressure switch while talking and that exploded and killes him but air line was capable of 100psi.... a blow of safety switch was fiited later to prevent other mistakes happening
there was also an instance in our local paper where a forces lady was with her husband in a BMW z3 or4 and they had vibration from the tyre, (bleb in wall) they put the 'mini' spare on and she had to have the tyre on her lap as the boot was full, and it exploded and killed her, hubbie had injuries.

you might as well been running on the rims at that hardness, even springs/shocks can't cope with that hardness
just think of banging your sole of your foot on the floor without trainers etc on OUCH

·
Registered
108 Posts
80 psi, you are in "fear and loathing in Las Vegas " territory,lol
I have seen bumps in n.y that are actually holes they put a bump sign up for ,
And those senders are a rough time putting in also, as they have a gasket needs to be replaced , and just like the fuel pump if the unit moves while you screw that retainer ring on, will twist the sending unit and possibly damage it b4 ya use it so be careful if, when you replace it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts