SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm never really that good in figuring out these electronic things, and the other day my cruise stopped working. Fuse is fine though... where should I check next?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry seth, I don't have an anwer, just chiming In that I have the same problem. Is yours a total failure? With mine I can turn on the cruise, and the cruise annunciator turns on but i can't get it to engage. Im having a Mechanic check it out August 1st

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'll for sure have an awswer for you come august 1st. :D Lets hope its not a cruise control module....cuz for 600 bux I'd rather just go without.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, My cruise didn't work when I got my car. It turned out to be a broken brake switch I think. I think it was the switch that turns off the cruise when you step on the brake. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yea mine doesn't work at all either... no light no nothin. is the cruise control actually activated by a "switch", because on mine it seems you just push in on a button on the end of the handle there. i always do get that "test brakes" on the SID, so maybe it is a brake switch like you said audioddude.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't understand. It would make sense that a broken brake switch would tell the cruise that you are stepping on the brake and to disengage. But if you are getting the "Test Brakes" indicator, I think you would have a functioning brake switch. Becasue as soon as you touch the brake the prompt goes away. If it was a broken brake switch the SID would think you always have your foot on the brake and never throw up the "Test Brakes" Prompt. Perhaps my logic is off, let me know if it is, becuse I always get the "Test Brakes" prompt when I fire up the car (if my foot isn't on the brake during start up)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I may have confused the issue here. I think there is a brake switch that simply disengages the cruise when you step on the brake and on the clutch if you have a standard. This has nothing to do with the brake lights which is what the SID tells you. Right?? BTW my test brakes message always comes on and came on when the cruise wasn't working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeeea, disregard anything i said about my cruise not working.... turns out there was just a short in my brain, and it works quite well now... ;oops:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Beats me Audiodude, My Saab is the first car I've had thats somewhat new. All these new fangled switches and such are a mystery to me. My previous Cars (76 Fiat Spider, (2) 84 Maserati Biturbos) didn't have cruise control or Information Displays. I guess I'm learning all over again for the new gen of autos out there.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What was the short? perhaps my brain is experiancing that same fault.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tell me about it. I'm thinking of going back in time and getting something I can actually work on. With all the computer stuff on these newer cars, you are at the mercy of the shops. Thankfully we have this site to help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Test brakes message

MaseratiMike said:
I don't understand. It would make sense that a broken brake switch would tell the cruise that you are stepping on the brake and to disengage. But if you are getting the "Test Brakes" indicator, I think you would have a functioning brake switch. Becasue as soon as you touch the brake the prompt goes away. If it was a broken brake switch the SID would think you always have your foot on the brake and never throw up the "Test Brakes" Prompt. Perhaps my logic is off, let me know if it is, becuse I always get the "Test Brakes" prompt when I fire up the car (if my foot isn't on the brake during start up)
Actually, it doesn't make sense for the SID to use the brake switch in that situation. As I understand it, the point of the "Test Brakes" indicator is so that the SID can make sure the brake lights go to on/full-bright correctly. Therefore, the "Test Brakes" message goes away not when the brake switch triggers, but when the lights actually come on/go to full bright. So it's possible that the brake switch is not working, even though you can clear the "Test Brakes" message. Just a theory

1 - 15 of 15 Posts