SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I resolved the problem with no help from saab, they actually broke the clips on the battery cover while doing a load test. I talked to a service writer about the issue, when I said that it seems to be a common problem he basically laughed in my face, I told him that usually there are tell tail signs that a battery is dying (slow cranking) and this was fine one minute and dead the next, his response was "I've been doing this for a long time and I have seen it a thousand times"
yet its not common. well I purchased a battery from advanced auto for $85 not $150 like the dealer wants, anyway I was just curious to see how many other people have had the same issue and at what mileage it occured thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
saab batteries are not the greatest. Mine died at 39K at about 4 years old. If you read around on these boards, a dead battery is not uncommon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Dead batteries are common on lesser mileage cars. Mine died after the dealer was troubleshooting a problem for a week and didn't have to car running enough to charge the battery. It had less than 30k on it then. They replaced the battery free of charge and I have been fine since.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine died at 21K, in about a year and half. The trouble is not SAAB believe it or not. There could many factors involved, for instance, the battery could have been sitting on the shelf for a long time loosing it's charge before they decided to put it in the car. There about five battery manufactures that make batteries, SAAB just purchase them from one or more and puts their name on it (not a good idea). Give's people the wrong impression of the company when a battery goes bad. At any rate SAAB replaced the battery free of charge and towing was free.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been talking to people with Audis and BMWs and they have their issues as well. It hasn't anything to do with our Saabs, and the likelyhood that the next auto we buy we may not get three years usage out of a battery.

Hey, Dirty Derby is getting a face lift, where did you get your Saab?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The original equipment (OE) Saab battery is made somewhere in Europe by Exide. I have heard about issues with the Exide batteries made in the USA before. Exide also got into trouble over a deal they made with Sears to manufacture Sears Diehard batteries (which are no longer made by Exide). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...C8B63&n=Top/Classifieds/Autos/Topics/Motoring

Wal-Mart in some areas as well as NTB/Tire Kingdom sell Exide batteries but the group 48 battery is not the same design as the Saab OE battery.

The Advance Auto and Autozone batteries are made by Johnson Controls (as are Interstate, Sears DieHard, and Costco Kirkland Signature), which is widely regarded as one of the best battery manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts