SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to prevent my 9-5 from exploding I have made an appointment to have my Aero de-sludged on Monday. Is is cold and icky outside so I'm trading my mechnic a red DI and a c900 crille for the job, including a trans service.

Would detaching the oil cooler and cleaning it out be a good idea too? I mean is it possible that sludge could get caught in here? ANybody have experience with this.

I want my 9-5 to become de-sludged if it has any and stay that way. I'm not sold on engine flushing ideas; however, a good sump clean and 5K Mobil 5w-30 changes in future sound good.

I take it I would have to fill more than 4litres after the change if the cooler was reinstalled empty. Prob 5litres?

I plan on having the screen cleaned as well as the sump all de-gunked and reinstalled. Will take some pics to give an idea of what perfect synthetic changes every 5K since new has done to my car.

Cheers

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Why not make the decision on the oil cooler once you have the sump off?

If it looks bad, go ahead, if its clean then perhaps there is no need?

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Also, I wouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30.

Either go with Mobil 1 european blend 0W40 or Castrol 5W40 or 5W50 as all of those meet the requirements of Saab ... plus the Mobil 1 european blend has anti-wear properties that help the chain and other components.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we don't have 0w:cry:

10w30 or 5w30 synthetic.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stipud said:
They have 0w40 and 5w50 at Canadian tire all the time. I actually get my 5w50 from "The Real Canadian Superstore"... cheapest I've found.

dammm....

I will have to check it out. SO 5W 50 is a good call for the 9-5 in Vancouver climate. -6C to 27C

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
In Vancouver's mild climate you could probably use straight 30 year 'round if you could still buy the stuff, and it would work fine.....

Don't get all worried about oil weight. Just make sure you get an ACEA A3/B3 rated full synthetic and change it every 5-10k KM. I've been using 0W-30 year round here in Winnipeg (temp range from -35C winter to +35C summer) for 6 years on two different 2.3L Saabs with no oil-related issues whatsoever. Originally I was using German Castrol (ACEA A3/B3 printed on the bottle) and now I use Esso XD3 Synthetic (which is NOT ACEA A3/B3 since it is mainly intended as a premium commercial oil but many oil analyses have shown it to be virtually equivalent if not superior to the Castrol). Plus it's dirt cheap at Esso bulk dealers here on the Prairies.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
stipud said:
They have 0w40 and 5w50 at Canadian tire all the time. I actually get my 5w50 from "The Real Canadian Superstore"... cheapest I've found.

But none of that is the european blend.
There are very few places you can get it from ... and it is very different oil.
If you want to do everything you can to prevent sludge, this would be one of those things.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Interesting that Saab (GM) fully synthetic turbo oil is 5 - 30?:confused: Here in UK anyway.

I'm going to try the Mobil 1 5 - 30 ESP fully synth. What sold me was its 'ability'to keep engine really clean.
P

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SaabScott said:
But none of that is the european blend.
There are very few places you can get it from ... and it is very different oil.
If you want to do everything you can to prevent sludge, this would be one of those things.
"European Blend"?

Hmmm. I'm about to go to the store. Can I not just buy 5w-30? SYnthetic. I will look for "European Blend". As I recall, 0w Synthetic is n/a here.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SaabScott said:
Also, I wouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30.

Either go with Mobil 1 european blend 0W40 or Castrol 5W40 or 5W50 as all of those meet the requirements of Saab ... plus the Mobil 1 european blend has anti-wear properties that help the chain and other components.

Thank you mr. president.

I will have a look at a few places including Taiwanese Tire

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matthew said:
IIRC the book says 5.4 litres.

Thank-you Matthew.

Tomorrow is the big day, will take the digi cam with me to take pics.

Failing that if there is a long wait, my mechanic will take pics.:lol:

I get an 8V turbo 900 as a loaner:cool:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sludgetastic

Well, we dropped the sump:

Initial results didn't look too bad:

but then....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We then decided to have some coffee (my mechanic and I)- I wondered about spreading it on toast, like Marmite/Vegemite (taste the same I bet)

and then:

but then we did this:

And saw a decent looking one of these:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All and all, glad I did it. Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm glad for you too. What mileage? What were the known service intervals?
P

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
paolo said:
I'm glad for you too. What mileage? What were the known service intervals?
P

125,400. Perfect 5,000mile oil change history

Scary eh.

THese cars have a poorly designed engine.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
woywitka said:
125,400. Perfect 5,000mile oil change history
5000 miles... is that just you, or does that include your previous owner as well? That much sludge would take awhile to build up and you have not had the car for too long. If the P.O. was only doing the factory recommended 15000 intervals, that amount of sludge makes sense. It would be very weird if that sludge were built up if they did 5000 mile changes though...

The engine itself isn't bad, they just redesigned the PCV, oil pump, piston rings, and switched to lighter non-forged pistons for the 9-5 to increase fuel efficiency over the 9000. Unfortunately they went a bit too far and made it far less reliable in the process. Seems like if they just used the 9000 engine in the first place we would be much better off... those pistons can handle huge horsepower levels without disintegrating, and they don't have the sludge issues either. But we wouldn't have their oxcart suspension... best of both worlds :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts