SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the things on my laundry list is "de-hazing" the headlights on my car. Here's the best picture I have of the car, showing what I mean:

I've bought some headlight cleaner, scrubed and scrubed, and while they are better than the picture, they are still quite hazy.

New lense covers are brutally expensive.. Anyone have any tips on cleaning these?

(For what it's worth, I suspect most of the hazyness that's left is on the inside.. :( )

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Glass polish

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Often the haze on the inside is whats left from water(and the contaminates that got in with it) that has leaked by the poor gasket on U.S. spec. lamps. The lens itself for U.S. lamps is not easy to separate from the reflector but , I've read here on S.C. (900t I think) it's possible. I have improved the condition of the inside of the lens by swabbing it with alcohol, bits of cloth and stiff wire. To do this without damaging the difuser part of the reflector and retrieving the cloth is an interesting challenge.
The haze on the outside is always caused by abrasion (sand, stones, skeletal fragments of various furry woodland creatures), perhaps a glass shop could buff them or something but, I've never gone there.
Your best bet is to source some decent headlights on ebay or craigslist, or find a good one here and there at the local bone-yard.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did you take off the lenses or are you just trying to scrub the outside?

I cleaned my lenses not so long ago to great effect. The reflectors, however, are in brutal shape and need to be changed, but that's a different matter. I just used dish soap while cleaning the lenses and they came out beautifully.

My headlamp gaskets were in amazingly good shape. Nice thick foam-ish 1cm thick material. Much much better quality than that of my NG900 headlamp gaskets which are rubbish.

·
Registered
447 Posts
BlammoSPG said:
So one of the things on my laundry list is "de-hazing" the headlights on my car.

(For what it's worth, I suspect most of the hazyness that's left is on the inside.. :( )
I had good luck cleaning the inside of my lenses several years ago by removing the headlight from the car, removing the bulb, and pouring about 1/2 cup of uncooked white rice inside the light. I then shook it for several minutes and poured out the rice. I'm sure that other substances might work as well or better and there might be something that would work well with a cleaning solution.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
teej,
How did you remove the lense without damaging anything and what kind of glue did you use to seal it back together?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Banman, I just popped of the lenses... they aren't glued onto the frame or anything, actually mine were so tight that there was a vaccuum-like "suck" when i took them off... didn't have to use any glue to re-attach either... as you can see from the gasket condition in the pics, they are amazing.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You have to take off all the clips; however, seperating the glass is easy. Just pour hot water/heatgun on the seal!

Easy!

The haze is on the inside!

·
Registered
491 Posts
does the "haze" just wipe out? also, my brother backed his saab into mine and broke my headlight bracket. Went to the junk yard and got the whole assembly, but the new one has a lump in the glass at the top from the mold? The old one just had two on the bottom. Can I file this down (the light wiper hits it and shudders) or should I use my old glass?
Thanks
-Alex

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
woywitka said:
The haze is on the inside!
Exactly

xassh said:
800 or 1000 grit wet/dry 'sand' paper will do a lot to smooth the glass and get rid of haze
No a cutting paste is the correct way of resurfacing glass, not even 2000 can match it.

teej said:
The reflectors, however, are in brutal shape and need to be changed
Did you not buy the Speedpart replica reflactors?

I really wanted to see how they turned out.

My original reflectors are flat silver like the ones on your 900 but even worse:eek:

but then I got these

Dull lights make the c900 look old and tired and throw a scattered beam of soft unfocused light on the road.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Holy smokes Shadowworks! Where did you get those reflective inners? Can they be used on the US version buckets?

JC Whitney sells the glass polish in powder form (cesium oxcide I think). You make a slurry with it and apply with a cloth wheel on a drill. Windshields take time but the head light lens would be easy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
wow shadow, that looks great! as for my reflectors, yeah i showed the GOOD side, the other isn't even flat silver anymore, it's down to the yellow!...

after seeing yours, i may have to look into getting some new shiney bits for myself....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
teej said:
Banman, I just popped of the lenses... they aren't glued onto the frame or anything, actually mine were so tight that there was a vaccuum-like "suck" when i took them off... didn't have to use any glue to re-attach either... as you can see from the gasket condition in the pics, they are amazing.
Anyone have a guide/doc/etc on removal and reassembly? Like to make sure I have all the right parts and tools before I start.

Wow -- THAT is what I want mine to look like. Where did you get the reflectors? Share! Share!

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
teej said:
Banman, I just popped of the lenses... they aren't glued onto the frame or anything, actually mine were so tight that there was a vaccuum-like "suck" when i took them off..
Our U.S. spec headlights are not the same as the ones portrayed in the pictures.
If there's a way to take ours apart and get them back together, it'll be news to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have de-hazed one of my headlights. It was caused by water vapor and dried water vapor on the back-side of the glass. I was able to separate the glass from the lens with a little effort. It cleaned up nice. No new parts needed. I sealed the light back up with some silicone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine wasn't stuck that tight. I used a blade to separate the two, as I recall. That should work.

Run the blade all the way around the seal. Cut into the crevice.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
Our U.S. spec headlights are not the same as the ones portrayed in the pictures.
If there's a way to take ours apart and get them back together, it'll be news to me.

Yep... all these nice pictures of lenses off and pretty reflectors are from e-codes. US spec headlights can only be separated the "honda way" that is, put the lights in the oven for 10 minutes or so then remove. I'm actually not joking :eek:

I just sloshed around a cleaning solution in the lights, worked fairly well. But my e-codes are much clearer than my us spec lights ever were.

Blammo, as you can see in this pic, the pattern of the lens is completely different, and the lens actually pops off to clean, replace, etc. So don't get confused when looking at all these pretty pictures... Your lenses are much harder to get behind (save for dipping a mouse in kerosene and letting it loose inside!)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts