SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, it's been a while..... I sold my old 91 T16S a while ago due to financial commitments but missed it so much I had to buy another, so I did, this time a convertible T16S and have fallen in love (all over again).... :p My problem is this, this car has a cat on it which is on it's way out. Now I've been told I can legally remove it :nono; and fit a non cat exhaust system, is this true and what are the ramifications of doing so? apart from the increase in polution!! This will be a summer car only, so I figure the increase in polution will be outwieghed by the minimal use of this vehicle..................before I get told off ;oops:

·
Banned
637 Posts
There no ill effects in removing the Cat on that car. It's only problematic when there are 2 oxy Sensors with OBD11 systems.
As for Pollution..a minor issue.. given that the Truck next to you ont the Road has virtually No pollution restrictions.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Yes, you can just remove the cat and replace it with some straight pipe. Don't forget to plug the Lambda sensor in again as well. You should get a small performance increase of about 5 bhp. It will sound a bit deeper in tone as well, especially if you remove the centre silencer. You will have no problem meeting MOT emissions on a 1991 - the increase in pollution is pretty minimal anyway.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your reply Basre :D Is it a straight forward replacement or would timing and/or other stuff need to be tweaked?

Thanks to U 2 Jezzadee, looks pretty straight forward, that's got to be my first project then....:D I'll post some pictures soon.. thanks again!

·
Registered
883 Posts
You will notice a slight loss of power low down - this is because the CAT keeps heat in the downpipe and hot gasses flow faster. This is ofset by power gains further up the power range. To get round this problem you can insulate the downpipe with some exhaust wrap which is available from car tunning suppliers. A straight through pipe will give you the most power gain - even over a center silencer - but you may find a resonant boom at certain speeds. You can buy straight pipe sections that slide inside each other from exhaust supply places - get a section with an inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the existing. Cut the downpipe just before the cat and slide on the sleeve making sure you slot the ends with a hacksaw a few times so that the clamps can compress it down onto the existing pipe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trackside said:
A straight through pipe will give you the most power gain - even over a center silencer - but you may find a resonant boom at certain speeds. .
Mach1 springs to mind, any ideas on a speed limiter here....

Thanks Trackside et all, Saab drivers :roll: = nice helpful people...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had my centre box removed last week and a straight through pipe put in. Mine is an '88 so there was no cat. I sounds a bit more metallic when revving but not that much louder.

I used a company called Pipeworks in Basildon if anyone is interested (most of the exhaust places near me would only replace like for like (and Toomey SAAB answered the phone as 'Toomey Chevrolet' so they were no use).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was, but circumstances changed, family problems, and an overactive thyroid bought me back!!.... I missed you all though ;oops: and can't believe how the site has grown... I'll go back to Spain if things work out but am not putting too much effort into it at the moment seeing as things are ticking over nicely right now here... Thanks for the shout....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts