SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading dozens of posts on the subject, I am considering pulling Fuse 35 and relying on my memory to turn on my lights when I need them (it's been over 20 years since I've had to manually turn on headlights at dusk!). At any rate, I am curious if there is any evidence as to the actual increase in lifespan of the Xenon headlights (I have a 9-5 Aero) associated with eliminating them being active as DRLs?

Thanks,

·
Registered
302 Posts
mhowie said:
After reading dozens of posts on the subject, I am considering pulling Fuse 35 and relying on my memory to turn on my lights when I need them (it's been over 20 years since I've had to manually turn on headlights at dusk!). At any rate, I am curious if there is any evidence as to the actual increase in lifespan of the Xenon headlights (I have a 9-5 Aero) associated with eliminating them being active as DRLs?

Thanks,
I'm sorry to sound like this, but it's common sense that a bulb's lifetime is going to be significantly increased if it's not illuminated all the time.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Most driving is done during the day, except in the winter driving home from work when it is dark (eastern U.S.). Think about it. If 75% of your driving is daytime, then you pull the DRL and get 75% more life out of expensive xenons. The clincher is ALL interior and exterior lights are on with the DRL's. Makes for a lot of bulb changing. Pull the fuse. You won't forget to turn on the lights as you won't be able to see th instrument panel - even with city driving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tmg19103 said:
Most driving is done during the day, except in the winter driving home from work when it is dark (eastern U.S.). Think about it. If 75% of your driving is daytime, then you pull the DRL and get 75% more life out of expensive xenons. The clincher is ALL interior and exterior lights are on with the DRL's. Makes for a lot of bulb changing. Pull the fuse. You won't forget to turn on the lights as you won't be able to see th instrument panel - even with city driving.
Fuse has been pulled... thanks for the push. Now I just have to remember not to leave them on when I exit the car at night (or will they shut off automatically, like the power through the cigarette lighters, when the car is keyed off?).

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
mhowie said:
Fuse has been pulled... thanks for the push. Now I just have to remember not to leave them on when I exit the car at night (or will they shut off automatically, like the power through the cigarette lighters, when the car is keyed off?).
The great thing is they shut off automatically if you leave them on, but they will be on when you start again. Good if you are driving around and go somewhere at night with a few stops. Just need to remember to turn off the lights when you are done for the night so they are off the next day when you start.

Outside of the costly bulbs, everytime you start the car with the DRL the self-leveling xenons auto level. No need to have more wear with this with xenons auto-leveling during the day when you start the car. I personally don't think DRL's do much to stop accidents except perhaps at dusk, where you just need to remember to turn the lights on. I find this easy because the instrument panel on my '03 9-5is not very brightly marked when the lights are off, so when it gets a little dark you notice the need to turn the lights on.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The idea with DRL's is pretty simple. How many times have you driven at dusk, in the rain, and saw some moron with his lights off? Some people are simply too dumb to be left with responsibility of turning their lights on (if you ask me, they are too dumb to drive at all, but I don't make the policy...:().

Since we can't be "profiling" people when they buy cars and sell them one with DRL's or without (for obvious reasons), almost everyone today gets a car with headlights "always on". There is no problem with you disabling the feature and deciding yourself when to turn the lights on. But in come cases (read moron in pickup driving at night in the storm with lights off "cause he can see just fine") - we have to turn the lights on for them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
walmark said:
The idea with DRL's is pretty simple. How many times have you driven at dusk, in the rain, and saw some moron with his lights off? Some people are simply too dumb to be left with responsibility of turning their lights on (if you ask me, they are too dumb to drive at all, but I don't make the policy...:().

Since we can't be "profiling" people when they buy cars and sell them one with DRL's or without (for obvious reasons), almost everyone today gets a car with headlights "always on". There is no problem with you disabling the feature and deciding yourself when to turn the lights on. But in come cases (read moron in pickup driving at night in the storm with lights off "cause he can see just fine") - we have to turn the lights on for them.
I'd have no problem with DRL's if they did them the way BMW does. The DRL is the cheap to replace halogen next to the xenon AND all the other lights are not on.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree 200%.

tmg19103 said:
I'd have no problem with DRL's if they did them the way BMW does. The DRL is the cheap to replace halogen next to the xenon AND all the other lights are not on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
MainLineSaab said:
I'm sorry to sound like this, but it's common sense that a bulb's lifetime is going to be significantly increased if it's not illuminated all the time.
Actually, this is not true. If you notice, virtually every failure is reported to the dash upon starting the car (at least I have never heard otherwise.) I have never had a bulb fail during operation. This is because the greatest stress on the filament is during the warm-up and cool-down period when the bulb is powered on or off. However, it's not obvious to me that you would gain much by disabling DRL unless you make a lot of daytime trips and would save on-off cycles that are unnecessary. Otherwise, you're likely to turn on the lights yourself anyway.

I've been replacing my bulbs every several months since the factory bulbs failed. They lasted about 5 years...not sure why factory bulbs would be any better. I wish I had saved them to see if they might be commercially available. I considered disabling DRL when I thought it was a simple matter of removing a fuse. I'm hearing that's not the case, so I'll probably live with it...my 2000 9-3Vig does not have Xe bulbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I purchased mine w/48k the previous owner had pulled the fuse. I'm guessing they did it at 47k because at 49k one went pink. Since I've not driven the car with the fuse, can anyone tell me if pulling the fuse knocks out the parking lights? I either have headlights or nothing...regardless or switch position...parking lights=headlights...headlights=headlights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's the US/CA set up.

halegan said:
When I purchased mine w/48k the previous owner had pulled the fuse. I'm guessing they did it at 47k because at 49k one went pink. Since I've not driven the car with the fuse, can anyone tell me if pulling the fuse knocks out the parking lights? I either have headlights or nothing...regardless or switch position...parking lights=headlights...headlights=headlights.
The 9-5 has a US/CA and Euro light set up via the Tech II. When my xenon went out at 50k miles I asked the dealer to disable the DRL. They pulled fuse 35 and in addition, changed the headlight set up from US/CA to the Euro setting using the Tech II. Now my lights operate like a normal car without DRLs. The parking lights work like parking lights without the headlights on, just the 2 small city lights.

You'll have to go to the dealer or an indy with Tech II in order to make the changes.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Bulbs are rated (but its difficult to find the data sometimes) by their MTBF (mean time between failure).

The time referred to above is burn time. So any time they are on you are causing additional wear on them.

Additionally they wear more if they are cycled on and off a lot, but this is usually ignored in the MTBF calculations.

In other words, to maximize bulb length, you should:
a) use them only when you need them; as long as
b) you don't turn them on and off a lot.

All that being said, Xenon bulbs have pretty long life spans. Usually about 4+ years on most cars, provided they have been installed properly (no hand grease on the bulb) and they are not defective.

They are a bit on the expensive side to replace, but if its only once every 4 years WITH DRL's ON, then to me its not a huge economic decision to pull the fuse.

I have my DRL's disabled either way, even though I don't think its a big deal :p

When I was running silverstars on my non HID 2001 - however - those suckers burnt out every 4 months or so, and they weren't cheap either. That quickly added up, and I was glad to pull the DRL fuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having new snows(trying ipike 409) put on at the dealer tomorrow so I'll ask them to give it a try. Thanks!

tsutte01 said:
The 9-5 has a US/CA and Euro light set up via the Tech II. When my xenon went out at 50k miles I asked the dealer to disable the DRL. They pulled fuse 35 and in addition, changed the headlight set up from US/CA to the Euro setting using the Tech II. Now my lights operate like a normal car without DRLs. The parking lights work like parking lights without the headlights on, just the 2 small city lights.

You'll have to go to the dealer or an indy with Tech II in order to make the changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
quick question regarding xenons...mine are starting to blink on and off so presumeably i will be needing to replace soon. any suggestions on where to purchase? easy diy?

2004 9~5 aero wagon

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sounds right, I replaced ours a year ago on a 2003. I found a set of Osrams 4300 K (OEM), for $100 on eBay. That's about the best you can do.

Make sure you get the right D1S bulb, and not anything else. Next time I may try the 6000 K bulbs, they may accent our Cosmic Blue better.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
milo said:
quick question regarding xenons...mine are starting to blink on and off so presumeably i will be needing to replace soon. any suggestions on where to purchase? easy diy?

2004 9~5 aero wagon

Very easy DIY. Don't pay anyone for it. Whatever you do don't buy these at a dealer, they'll charge you an obscene amount of money.

I got miner for a good price on eBay.

If you make sure that you get Philips branded bulbs that are DS1 you should be OK! (other brands may work well too, but Philips are known for being good quality bulbs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Mattlach said:
If you make sure that you get Philips branded bulbs that are DS1 you should be OK!
I think we know what you mean mattlach, but just to clarify, that is D1S xenon bulbs that you need, not DS1. ;)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
mt.aero said:
I think we know what you mean mattlach, but just to clarify, that is D1S xenon bulbs that you need, not DS1. ;)
Doh, yes - of course. I keep making silly typos :(

I need to be more careful before pressing that little send button.

G

·
I bought mine used from some Swedish/American dude. He said they were hardly used and he seemed like a decent guy. :p

But I sold me car to some Canadian dude so I hope they are still good.

It's quite an international community here on SC. :D

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Wulf said:
I bought mine used from some Swedish/American dude. He said they were hardly used and he seemed like a decent guy. :p
I don't know if you can trust those Swedish-Americans :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts